I Forge Iron

New striking anvil

Hey guys!

My dad picked up a peice of one inch plate that’s 24” by 24” for free off a job site he was working on. The plan is for a striking anvil! I was thinking since we have the plate to make it 6 inches wide by 24 inches long with a one inch hardie hole. But I was wondering since I have the length if I should put a different shaped hole on the other end like a swage block Kinda? Like a rectangular hole for drifting axes and such?

thanks

Rylan

Thanks for the replies!

that was my thinking too JHCC is that it would be easier to add it now then after it was welded together. I think maybe  larger hole for drifts and a slot to go along with the 1” hardie hole, my main anvil has a one inch hole so I would like them to match to share tools! Do you have any recommendations on the size of the large hole and the slot?

thanks

Rylan

Thanks for the advice! I’m definitely gonna do that! I have searched around this website as well as the web and haven’t been able to find measurements on preferred size of slot for drifting axes and such. I know it will depend on the size of axe and tools to be drifted but do you have an idea of a good starting point?

thanks

Rylan

Don’t tool up for the largest project you might ever make. You want to start small anyway. A 2” hole should cover your needs for the foreseeable future; if you ever need something bigger, you can improvise. If you end up making oversized pieces on a regular basis, retool. 

I made my 185 lb striking anvil with a 1 1/4 inch hardy hole to match that on my anvil. That is enough to drift most hammer heads and tomahawks/hatchets. If I ever need anything larger I can weld another (larger)  hardy hole to the anvil block just like I did the first one.  Like John said, start basic and expand as needed.