I Forge Iron

Using EMT for cold practice/anvil height

I am in the process of setting the height for my new to me A&H anvil and in doing research I came across some old threads where someone mentioned using EMT for trial anvil heights, as it will show the angle of every hammer blow. (I can't find the thread again but I think it may have been Thomas Powers' suggestion). Being an electrician by trade I promptly went outside and grabbed some 3/4" and some 1" EMT scraps out of the trash and took them over to the anvil. I want to say this is a valuable tip. Not only can you read the hammer blows very easily for adjusting anvil height, you can also easily see if you are canting to one side or the other. It is also very handy when trying out different hammers. It occurred to me that this is also a good way to practice hammering and holding work pieces without starting up the forge and only takes a few minutes up to as long as you want it to. The EMT is soft, and the smaller sizes are softest, getting harder to shape as the size increases. 3/4" seems to be perfect for practice. Now I can go out there whenever I have a few minutes and smash up some EMT.

Just wanted to bring this up for the benefit of beginners like me.

Ok, I googled EMT and got lots of Emergency Medical Technician reference. I don't believe I want to hit them with a hammer on my anvil so could you elaborate what EMT stands for other then the fine folks that save our behinds when things go wrong? 

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Ok, I googled EMT and got lots of Emergency Medical Technician reference. I don't believe I want to hit them with a hammer on my anvil

Das, we would certain appreciate you refraining from excessive hammering of EMTs. I try to only give my EMT partner one every now and then to keep them in line.