I Forge Iron

Air hammer

Hello all,  have been blacksmithing a while, and want to build an air hammer. Spent a lot of time looking online and like the Kinyon air hammer. Noticed there are many refinements made over the years and would like to know whose plans I should  buy. I'm  thinking maybe a small hammer, I have a 5horse compressor. Thanks for your time, Gary

I believe that all 5 HP compressors are not created equal, by any stretch of the imagination.  Single or dual stage, tank size, allowable duty cycle, oil-free or needing oil... make a significant difference.  In evaluating the capacity of your compressor to run a hammer you will most likely need to know the flowrate at full pressure (i.e. 11 SCFM at 90 psi) and match same with the hammer design.  I expect a two stage industrial compressor with electric motor, a 60 gallon tank, and requiring oil will work a lot better for you than a big box special, single stage, contractor , oil free model with a 5 HP gas engine and aluminum head, but you never know.

I start with a single stroke compressor 2.5hp and a small air vessel (6 gal/100Psi) to end up with a big disappointment after several strokes. On the web you will find many calculation tools helping to count the air you need. In my case, I use a 2in bore cylinder with a stoke of 13in which results in a consumption of approx. 105 atmospheric gallons per minute on at least  120! Strokes/min. At this moment I have a capacity/vessels of 85 gallons on 145Psi which allows me to run the hammer 3 to 4 minutes before the compressors (now 2 single strokes) have to run again (after this time your work piece cooled down). The cylinder have to run on at least 95 Psi to create the full impact for a steady contact between the dices. 
During the choice of the cylinder keep an eye on the fact that you only can take advantage of the half of the stroke/reach of the chosen cylinder because the 'LZ' air hammers pneumatic schema is based on the law of the communicating vessels which means that the max. distance between the dices are 6,5 in instead of the 13 in cylinder range of the cylinder himself. 

But as Latticino say it depend on so manny factors. Good luck.

IMG_20171003_090718.jpg

Recently used a new BB 110 at my local club.  Nice machine which really moves stock well, but in keeping with the general thread I heard that the compressor purchased to serve it cost as much or more than the hammer...  Of course the owner may have gone for a bit of overkill there as the compressor is being used for other duties as well, but just something to contemplate.