I Forge Iron

Alabama scrap yards

Hey guys,

Im new to this forum and I’m looking for a good scrap yard where I can actually go in and pick materials located near Northeast Alabama. We’ve got a scrap yard about 20 min away, but the owner is picky about selling. He’s always ‘saving that’ haha. Any suggestions? 

29 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I have two yards near me that are willing to sell but don’t know that you’re willing to travel this far. One is about 12 miles west of me and the other is about 20 miles southish. 

That is a bit far, but it would  be worth it if I got a trailer load :)

can I get the names?

I have bought a couple things from Recycle USA (the further of the two places) and always see things I’d like to get if only I had the space. The other place is a new yard and I haven’t bought from them yet but I talked to the owner and he said he’d be willing to sell. He also mentioned having scrap bins at various machine and fab shops he picks up every couple weeks or so. I’ll have to find the card and get back with you on that one. It doesn’t even show up yet on google :( but I can tell you where it is if that helps. 

I did some looking and the closer yard is West Blount Recycling. It’s hard to miss as long as you get on the right road you’ll run right through the gates. The guy that own it is a good ole country boy and is really friendly. The one time I went to drop stuff off he left the office and came out to help me unload my scrap and we stood there talking for about 20 minutes while I looked around. 

Last time I was there he had several old vehicles (think axles, coil/leaf spring, sheet metal, etc) as well as the usual scrapyard stuff. 

Taylorblake, You might also check with any local fab., welding, machine shop, body/auto repair shop, near you. Be nice, tell them what your doing, ask if you can look thru their scrap containers, offer to pay a reasonable price, get permission before you load anything in your vehicle. A local blacksmith group is also a good source of material, and information. You may not be to far from the Athens Forge, www.athensforge.com. Al

Cullman group meets tomorrow. The plan, as far as I know, is hammer making. 

Clay is a great fella. I’ve seen him at a couple of the Cullman meetings and wish I could absorb more from him.

Going to meetings will help much more than you’d imagine even at such an early stage. With someone there that can see what you’re doing as you’re doing it they can give you real time feedback to help your technique in no time at all.