I Forge Iron

Possible Burner Idea?

Jacob Palmer

I found this youtube video on making a simple burner for a gas forge. I have made a burner to melt aluminum in a foundry before. With most burners (and the one I made) I find that they cost a lot to make or require a lot of up-keep. This one seems almost too simple. What do y'all think? I'm not looking for it to last my whole life but to just get started in gas forges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=67rxU02fv6o

image.png

(P.S. I would make quite a few modifications like an air flow regulator and such.)

Your boi,

Jacob

6 hours ago, Binesman said:

If youre starting out use a known design and follow it.  

If youre looking for something less complex to make go with a frosty t burner.  There a clear and easy to follow instructions pinned on this site for them.

Though I have already checked many forums for burner blueprints. (Like for a stinkin hour) I had not found any that were simple or cheap enough for me. The "Frosty T" looks great and is what I'll probably end up using. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I wondered about getting a perfect alignment by hammering the parts in and how would you correct if it they were off?

If I went with this model I would use a tap.

I'm pretty new too and don't have a big budget. Considering this is something that is going to mix fire and an extremely volatile gas, it was something that I didn't feel I wanted to skimp on.   My recommendation is to go with something tested and proven.

This is a pretty labor intensive craft to be complaining about a whole hours worth of research.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I tried that personally.  Turns out the second concussion a month after the first did NOT help things improve...

Hammering is NOT what people mean when they say, "use your head Thomas!"

Two concussions? HAH I did it in one!

Ooooh what's THAT? :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you use a tap; you might as well build the "T" burner anyway and use it's alignment ideas...

Yeah, that's what I was plannin'.

52 minutes ago, sfeile said:

I'm pretty new too and don't have a big budget. Considering this is something that is going to mix fire and an extremely volatile gas, it was something that I didn't feel I wanted to skimp on.   My recommendation is to go with something tested and proven.

This is a pretty labor intensive craft to be complaining about a whole hours worth of research.

Sfeile, I wasn't complaining, I was merely expressing my misfortune with finding information. I have used very similar propane burners before. I was looking for a simpler design than the ones I have made. When I worked on my aluminum foundry I spent months of work on researching. I expected my knowledge to carry over even a little...

1 hour ago, Mikey98118 said:

An entire stinkin' hour?! Really tough going there, lad.

Read note to Sfeile, the same applies to you. 

47 minutes ago, Jacob Palmer said:

Sfeile, I wasn't complaining, I was merely expressing my misfortune with finding information. I have used very similar propane burners before. I was looking for a simpler design than the ones I have made. When I worked on my aluminum foundry I spent months of work on researching. I expected my knowledge to carry over even a little...

Didn't mean to sound like such an xxx, and I apologize. I could have worded that better.

There is a lot of info here, I've been tapping into it for quite some time even before I signed up. I don't know anything about building a foundry. The only foundry work I have ever done was back in Jr. high and that was more than a couple weeks ago for sure.

I do know I built my first burner and it was one that was supposed to be pretty good, but cheaper than some of the more "tried and true" versions. It ended up costing me more in the long run because it lacked in efficiency and I ended up replacing it with a better model.

So despite my initial crassness, my intent was honest. Go with a good design to begin with. They may cost a little more initially, but they are proven and will serve you much better.

5 hours ago, sfeile said:

Didn't mean to sound like such an xxx, and I apologize. I could have worded that better.

There is a lot of info here, I've been tapping into it for quite some time even before I signed up. I don't know anything about building a foundry. The only foundry work I have ever done was back in Jr. high and that was more than a couple weeks ago for sure.

I do know I built my first burner and it was one that was supposed to be pretty good, but cheaper than some of the more "tried and true" versions. It ended up costing me more in the long run because it lacked in efficiency and I ended up replacing it with a better model.

So despite my initial crassness, my intent was honest. Go with a good design to begin with. They may cost a little more initially, but they are proven and will serve you much better.

Thanks, do you think that the frosty t design would work? It doesn't seem too complex, but is it one of those tried and true methods? The one I ended up building for the foundry was Grant Thompson's Gas Blaster. It worked well, but it was a very complex build. It could be adjusted better, but in the end, was just needlessly complex.

4 hours ago, MotoMike said:

My next burner will surely be a frosty t.   my first and current burner is a Reil design with Bourdeax modification. budgetary concerns at the forefront,  I can't imagine a cheaper proven burner to build than a Ron Reil.

That Ron Reil also looks pretty good.

4 hours ago, Jacob Palmer said:

Thanks, do you think that the frosty t design would work?

Frosty's design looks like a very good one. I've read a number of his posts, and at the risk of swelling his head, he knows what he's talking about. 

I would recommend staying with the same sizes of things he lists for materials though. They are that size for a reason. I think part of the inefficiency of my first burner was not having my top reducer being the correct size. It was based on the Reil, and I don't think I was getting correct airflow. 

23 minutes ago, Jacob Palmer said:

Thanks, do you think that the frosty t design would work?

Quite a few of us on here have used it and can confirm that it works well IF you follow the instructions exactly as they are presented.  Any deviation in parts or dimensions (whether Frosty's design, Ron Reil's, or any other proven design) can negatively affect the performance and/or efficiency of the burner.