I Forge Iron

No.40 Mohawk blower

B.B.Upch

my daughter & i are wanting to start doing some vintage style blacksmithing. we are looking to build our forge with an old blowr & tube. i ran across a No.40 Mohawk blower made in Louisville KY. I can't find anything about this brand? I have seen some champions but I am wondering what is a fair price for this blower? its on a stand & in working condition.

any info would be great thanks

Location?  We have over 150 countries participating here and the cost for items can be quite location specific including odd factors like "imported" items might have a higher cost than native items even if it's vice versa with the same items in the opposite countries.  A picture to show condition would be a big help too.

well I just got here & it does not spin now. he said the last time he had looked at it, it was turning. the blades look good but I'm not sure now. it is rusted some & the wood is gone from the handle. 

also is the Mohawk blower a good brand?

these blowers seem really hard to find & are crazy expensive on ebay but most are champion brands so thats why I asked about this brand

Clean the accumulated crud out of the gear box - probably solidified grease and stuff. Pull the fan cover- might have mud daubers, and other varmints. Don't force it. Take it slow and gentle and you should be fine. Never heard of Mohawk, so I can't help there.

Steve

to be honest that guy would have had me at 50, 40 seems reasonable if it looks like it can be disassembled AND he seems honest enough of a guy not to tell a bold faced like that it turned sometime semi-recently. But i've been known to be trigger happy on barters that i could have really worked down lower. 

Look inside at the gears; if they look ok then I'd risk it.  The larger blowers are a lot nicer to use than the little blowers.  I've never considered the handle's wooden piece as part of a deal.  Easily replaced.... (also sometimes you can rotate the fan manually even if the handle doesn't move.)

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 6:38 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

thanks for all the feedback. does anyone know anything about a champion 400 with no side handle but it has a pulley out the lower back of it? it turns but the legs are not in good shape & it's rusted up. I went ahead & got them both for $25

hope that's not to bad. any info will help thanks