Jonathan Smidt

Knife attempt number 6!

Recommended Posts

Slowed down a bit over the holiday timeframe, finally getting some time to share with ya'll my continued journey towards being a bladesmith!  Behold knife attempt number 6!  Blade is 1084, handle material is inlace acrylester.  Used my belt sander up to 1000, then took it by hand up to 2500.  Pins are brass.

*Note:  Still working on the other one....going to try to get better bevels into it.

20180106_200449.jpg

20180106_141000.jpg

IMG_20180106_203311_153.jpg

IMG_20180105_162326_574.jpg

20180106_200158.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on the polish. But the picture seems to indicate a crack in the blade, just below your chin in the reflection. You are aware of this, i assume? Or perhaps i am mistaken. 

Ricasso and plunge line need work. By the shape of them, it looks like you used an angle grinder to shape your bevels, and if that is true, trust me, leave that thing behind. Angle grinders, in my experience, do not work well for beveling. Look into making a file jig, and using files for your bevels, you can get the plunges and ricasso to look amazing with a few files, some skill, and patience. Oh yes, and sandpaper, of course. Or use your belt sander. Requires a lot more skill though, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Will W. said:

But the picture seems to indicate a crack in the blade, just below your chin in the reflection.

Are you referring to the reflection of his phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@will, thats the top of my phone case, I would be too scared to post something with a major flaw like a crack if it was that large haha.  I just got a belt sander for christmas, so was trying that for the ricasso and plunge....gonna take some getting used to I think.  Definitely plan to practice a lot more on those! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job! The green handle one is for the kitchen? Looks like it will work great for food prep. Good rocking shape on the front so you don’t have to lift the full blade off the cutting surface and the handle is good for finger clearance. I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jonathan Smidt said:

thats the top of my phone case

I see now, didnt really look close enough the first time. My skills of observation are keen as always, apparently! 

Using a belt sander to bevel blades freehand is pretty difficult, i struggle with it myself. It takes a lot of practice to develop the skill. But thats just all the more reason to make more knives! Just ignore the people who think youre strange for having a massive knife collection (i mean, who doesnt?! Theyre the weird ones! Lol)

You are progressing, that much is certain. Keep at it. And never forget to have fun with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Will W. said:

I see now, didnt really look close enough the first time. My skills of observation are keen as always, apparently! 

Using a belt sander to bevel blades freehand is pretty difficult, i struggle with it myself. It takes a lot of practice to develop the skill. But thats just all the more reason to make more knives! Just ignore the people who think youre strange for having a massive knife collection (i mean, who doesnt?! Theyre the weird ones! Lol)

You are progressing, that much is certain. Keep at it. And never forget to have fun with it.

Definitely having a blast!  Though the weather hasn't been kind and has kept me from getting as much forge time in as I would like.  I continue to try to take local classes whenever I get the chance, and am pursuing more blacksmithing classes on top of it to work on those skills.  Also went back to college for Welding, Machining, and Metalsmithing/jewelry courses, hoping those skills I will be able to transfer over to my bladesmithing!  Also, while I don't know if I will be able to get to it this year, I want to try to get to the ABS bladesmithing and handle/guard classes.  Till then though, I'll just continue to practice, and share my updates with everyone here!

10 hours ago, DavidF said:

Good job! The green handle one is for the kitchen? Looks like it will work great for food prep. Good rocking shape on the front so you don’t have to lift the full blade off the cutting surface and the handle is good for finger clearance. I like it!

It now resides in my Mother-in-law's kitchen. She was in need of a sharp kitchen knife, and after I sent her a video of that knife slicing cleanly through some chicken, she asked for it!  So, one less random sharp object in the house...just means I gotta make another one for myself! haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this advice when designing my first knife: try to make the spine one flowing line from butt to tip. Then design the rest. It is a rule of thumb and not absolutely a must. But is a nice guideline to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jonathan Smidt said:

Also went back to college for Welding, Machining, and Metalsmithing/jewelry courses, hoping those skills I will be able to transfer over to my bladesmithing

Those skills will definitely transfer over! All three of those are used in the construction of many blades, sometimes all three in the same knife. At the very least, youll have a handful of useful skills in your pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.