I Forge Iron

Seperate room for grinding

I have a 20' x 24' pole barn that I originally built for working on my vehicles, and other projects. I started blacksmithing/bladesmithing as a hobbyist a little over a year ago, and have been devoting more time to this especially in the last 6 months.  I set up my smithy in the middle of my pole barn (and now have to change my truck's oil in my gravel driveway <_<). Aside from losing the space to work on the truck, the biggest problem I've found is that everything in my shop is now covered in dust & grit from grinding. Even stuff in the loft has a coat of this grit. I always have the roll up door open when I am working, but the dust settles inside mostly for whatever reason...

I plan to build a lean-to style structure on the side of my pole barn this spring that will measure approximately 14' x 20'. Part of this area will be walled off for yard tool storage, leaving a 10' x 20' or 14' x 15' space for my smithy, depending on the layout I choose.

I am wondering if anyone does their grinding in a dedicated space to keep the grit and dirt from polluting the rest of their workspace? If I segregate off a small room for grinding, I think I will have to add some ventilation or vacuum collector or the atmosphere in the small room might be super contaminated with all of the particulates. I always wear a respirator when grinding, but I am thinking that the air in a small space might just get absolutely choked with particles of grit and such. I also am concerned about the risk of explosion in that environment too.

Any thoughts or experience to share?

Thanks in advance,

Shady

I plan to have a covered area that is outside of my Smithy. It will be a concrete pad that measures about 4' x 14', with the roof of the new shop extending over it. This will be part of a continuous single slab of concrete for the entire new workshop. I will have a large sliding door that opens to that covered area, that will allow me to roll whatever work bench or equipment in or outside as I need.   I plan to use that outside area for my charcoal forge and maybe MIG welding oxy/acet cutting, etc. I could grind out there too I suppose. I like the separate room that Alex Steele has set up, but space constraints and the complications/costs of ventilation/dust collection may limit my plans.

This is a rough sketch of what I am thinking. If I make a separate grinding room, I won't have a door in the back of the shop for cross ventilation.

smithy.jpg

As a side note, that fine metal dust that seems to find it's way everywhere is a good reminder to wear a respirator, even for brief grinding sessions. I find if I keep them hanging around the shop I am more likely to grab one. A Ziplock bag keeps them clean when not in use.

11 hours ago, bigb said:

As a side note, that fine metal dust that seems to find it's way everywhere is a good reminder to wear a respirator, even for brief grinding sessions. I find if I keep them hanging around the shop I am more likely to grab one. A Ziplock bag keeps them clean when not in use.

Those are great ideas! I only have the one respirator and I "usually" have it on when I should... but I am guilty of the "This will just take a minute" excuse for sometimes not taking the time to find it and put it on.:rolleyes: