I Forge Iron

Zebra Hammer

bobasaurus

A 1 lb pattern-welded cross peen hammer I forged from 1080 and 15n20 steel. The eye was hot punched instead of drilled/milled. I gold plated my logo, though it got a bit messed up in the acid etch. The handle is ash with bajan mahogany pieces laminated on for extra thickness.

2018-01-22_21.52.48.jpg

2018-01-22_21.54.56.jpg

2018-01-22_21.56.16.jpg

2018-01-22_21.50.14.jpg

DSC_1301.jpg

DSC_1303.jpg

Be interested in how the face works out after a few years of use.    I have not the experience to take more then a guess, but the difference in characteristics of the two metals, leads me to think there is going to be uneven responses to the forces of using it.  Most of the time, someone makes a pattern welded hammer, they weld on a mono-steel face.  Please keep us informed.

3 minutes ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Be interested in how the face works out after a few years of use.    I have not the experience to take more then a guess, but the difference in characteristics of the two metals, leads me to think there is going to be uneven responses to the forces of using it.  Most of the time, someone makes a pattern welded hammer, they weld on a mono-steel face.  Please keep us informed.

We'll have to see I guess.  Both metals have similar carbon contents and other alloying elements, and should be at about the same rockwell. 

Super cool! When I worked in the golf industry, really good players would say that you need to be excited and confident with the club when you hold it. That was 80% of the game. Your hammer would accomplish this and make we want to do more forging. It is beautiful. 

did you grind the pein? just asking casue that's what it looks like, the layers dont angle down as if they were forged, it doesn't follow the profile.

Littleblacksmith 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...