I Forge Iron

Spark Testing

I am having a tough time with it. It mostly looks the same to me. I tried several pieces of steel, at least one of them should have been high carbon (axle shaft) but I couldn't tell the difference between it and a piece of ordinary bar stock, a piece of angle, or even a piece of rebar. I grabbed a Craftsman wrench, I couldn't really see any difference. Wouldn't a Craftsman wrench be high carbon steel?  Tonight I did some searching and learned a bench grinder is better to use for spark testing than a hand held, which is what I was using yesterday. I'll try that next, (only get shop time on the weekends) and maybe make it darker in the shop? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Wrenches and axles are medium carbon, because you want them tough, not hard. Spark testing is tougher now with today's alloys. Better for scrap testing is look at the item, and use it for a similar use after forging. Axles-pry bar, hammer head, punch, etc...  A file will be high carbon. 

Hi bigb,

You're trying pretty similar sparking stuff. If you want to work with scrap try to compare these: 1. piece of smaller angle iron - sure structural mild steel. 2. piece of leaf spring - almost sure 5160 type medium carbon low alloy. 3. piece of ball bearing - almost sure 52100, 1.0% high carbon steel. 

Also I use an angle grinder with the thinnest cutting disc. Works for me. But I gave up to try identify steels this way elsewhere than in my own shop.

Bests:

Gergely

11 hours ago, MotoMike said:

I think it was Thomas who suggested having a had full of known steels to compare with mystery steel to determine what it is. 

Even if you don't know the precise composition of your "known" steel, comparing the sparks of your test piece with those from a chunk of structural steel, a flea market cold chisel, and an automotive coil spring will put you roughly in the right ballpark.

• 1 year later...

I save and label a test coupon   from every new known alloy I get for future reference but JHCC is right a piece of structural steel, a cold chisel, and a piece of spring steel will give you some idea of what you're dealing with. You can also do a break test if you plan on hardening the mystery steel. Search bamsite heat.pdf and you'll find a pretty good PDF explaining it that you can download for free.

Pnut

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I have learned via cutting various different alloys for 25+ years is this:  The softer the material the more disc it will eat.  I don't know why, but a bearing race will not eat up a cutting disc as fast as a chunk of re bar. 

Oh, and thanx for the PDF that was good reading. :D

• 2 weeks later...