I Forge Iron

Forced air burner

Nic

Hello.... I have a few questions... I'm in the process of making a forced air burner.... my question  is my gas comes in from the side at 90deg to the air pipe... I feel that it would be better if it came in from the same direction as the air does... I've attached a pic of my 1st attempt and then a pic of my next sort of plan..... someone said to me for forced air I should use 1 1/2 in piping for burner tube and air intake.... can anyone give some input... thanks

Nic

IMG_20180120_42741.jpg

IMG_20180120_32482.jpg

IMG_20180120_14787.jpg

Are you using  compressor to provide the air? 

My Opinion:   Not a good choice a simple blower works much better! (and is cheaper to boot, often free!) A compressor puts out a little air at high pressure, (unless you have a huge one!), while a gas burner wants a lot of air at low pressure.

My first gas forge was a blown version built at a SOFA gas forge building workshop---about 20 years ago. In general you want the gas entering at right angles as the main issue is mixing it with the air and so turbulent flow is your friend. (The Peot design does this with a right angle bend in the air pipe right where the gas enters and in mine the gas inlet is jetted to the sides and not the end. ) Also look into ribbon burners.

I suggest you scrap that design and look into building a Peot gas forge design.

Also there are a lot of really good NA designs out nowadays many of them discussed in great details on this site.

Finally make sure you build *exactly* to a given design  otherwise it's like going to the mechanic and saying "I was replacing parts in my engine with things I thought might work and now I have problems, can you tell me what I did wrong?"  The answer will be succinct or effusive and truculent...

Ok go right over there and ask those folks for a free quiet blower from their bone pile. As I don't have a Maktec I have no idea how much air it puts out.

How many cfm is "100 sq meter air flow" because air flow is a CUBIC measurement.

I suggest you see what other people are using successfully; have you looked at all the pictures of the Peot Forges on the net yet?

Stop trying to design your own system when you don't know how they work. Follow a known good design.

Hi.... sorry... i thought i had edited that... it is meant to be 100 cubic metres per hour   .. I read for a hans peot burner I need a blower that blows 150cubic feet per minute but that is with 2 inch black pipe... the blower I am using is just a blower i have aleady at my factory .... So isn't meant to be used permanently 

I reckon you should follow a known good build and not try to build and test your own design.

To put it bluntly: if you are ready to design and build your own design of propane burner you don't need to be asking questions of other people, you already know what you need to know.  If you are building to a known good plan and run into problems then we're here to help, especially as some of the known good plans were developed by people here!

Hi Thomas... 

It is just the 1st time I have heard anyone say or talk about  a two inch pipe .... but yes.... when I started on this journey I didn't research anything and it cost me about two months and lots of cash and not working.... anyway it' finally working but I would like to try the forced air one for more control of air and gas mixtures.. .. unfortunatey here is South Africa not all the parts are available.... simple things like 1/8  brass nipple.... cannot find one anywhere..... black pipe.... nobody only galvanised pipe.. some places sell very few fittings and some sell no pipe but have fittings.. a needle valve or gate valve.... on order and waiting but not readily available ... So the reason why I ask these questions is because sometimes I just can't get what is in the design so I'm trying to figure out alternative. I think I will go with the hans peot design and yesterday was the 1st time I found a place that has a wide variety of galvanised pipes very far out of cape town .... I was like a kid in a candy store ... anyway.. . Thanks again... I will keep you all posted