I Forge Iron

Forge status update

Dustin L

Well it's done. At least for the most part. Other than some fine tuning that I want to do. I still haven't tried yet either.

I built 55 gal. bottom blast. I already had the 55 gal drum, the brake rotor from my 97 gmc sierra and all the tools that I needed for the build. The only thing it cost me was about $40 for the 2" pluming parts. Oh yeah and I did pay another $20 for a blower. I wish I had some pictures to show but I don't own a camera (YET) and my old flip phone takes crumby pics and can't transfer them to the computer anyway. Plan on getting a camera soon that I will be able to post pics with.

I even managed to make a clinker breaker. I already had a steel dowel rod left over from an older project. I drilled all the way through both sides of the 2" pipe just below the firepot. Then I ran the dowel rod through so it stuck out just an inch or so on the other side. Next I welded a piece of plate to the dowel, inside the pipe, that I had cut and grinded to fit the I.D. Then drilled a few holes in the plate for air flow. Finally I cut the handle end of the dowel off to length and put a bend in it for a crank.

There's only two things left that I want to do before I put the coal in it.

1. Unfortunately, when I was welding the clinker breaker I got it ever so slightly out of alignment. I can't quite turn it a full 360 degrees. It gets to almost 180 degrees and then one side catches on the pipe. I want to use my dremmel tool to take just a bit off of that one side of the clinker breaker.

2. When I was building the forge I decided to not cut the bottom of the drum out. Instead, I want to cut a small opening in the side of the barrel near the bottom so I can shovel my ash out for easier clean up. So I still need to cut me out a clean out hole as well.

Other than those two minor tweaks I'm about ready to fire this thing up and see how it goes. Also, I found out that my local Tractor Supply does carry coal ( I know it has mixed reviews). However I also found out that I can get coal through the Illinois Valley Blacksmith Association which I have already tried and it burns very nicely. They have an open forge day near me once a month. I attended my first one there last week and look forward to going back for more.

Great finding the IVBA it really helps to have warm bodies to ask questions about everything related to hammering hot steel.

A little hint on transferring photo's from your flip phone to the computer. I still use an old Motorola flip phone and it has a micro chip behind the battery where the phone stores the photos. I picked up a universal chip adapter that I can remove the chip from the phone, put in the adapter and plug the adapter into the USB port on the computer then drag & drop the photos into a folder on the computer. Faster to do than type.:)