I Forge Iron

regulator confusion

osgryb

Hey guys im new here trying to get all my research in on building my first forge. i think i have everything pretty much covered but the regulator. a local place sells 0-30 high pressure regulators for 45 bucks that are rated for 75000 btu. what my question is would that be sufficient to reach welding temps using 2 rr easy burners in a well insulated forge with an internal volume of around 300 cubic inches? 

thanks.

Good Morning and welcome.

Trying to figure out a Propane regulator is not a simple as a yes/no. It probably will work and it should, if everything else is correct. The correct answer is "Absolutely, Positively, Definite Possible Maybe". Try it and see, if it doesn't work for this Forge is probably will for your next one.

Enjoy the Journey, there is no Destination other than taking care of things inside our Heads.

Neil

26 minutes ago, osgryb said:

Hey guys im new here trying to get all my research in on building my first forge.

Welcome to the forum. Like swedefiddle said no simple yes or no answer.

BTW, if you edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many members are near you and a lot of answers are location dependent.

As long as the regulator is made to work with a pressure gauge it should be ok. The regulators I've used that don't have the gauge outlet built in are made for cookers, fish fryers etc. where you don't really need to know the exact pressure you're running. I'm not saying you cant forge without a gauge but it will make it easier to know how efficiently your burners are running if you have a gauge. My regulator tops out at 15psi but I can reach welding heat fast at around 8-9psi. I run 6psi till the forge warms up,(I have a hard brick floor for durability), and then dial it down to 3-4psi for forging heat. It helps to track fuel consumption if you know the pressure.

Welcome aboard OSGRYB glad to have you.

Don't worry about the BTU rating on a propane regulator it's based on a different type of appliance. A 0-30psi is pretty much what's available in a high pressure regulator anymore. When I built mine it was 0-20 psi but those are almost impossible to find now.

In your researching do NOT make the common beginner mistake of mixing and matching designs, pick ONE and stick to it. That way if something goes wrong you can "probably" ask the originator for help. Oh and don't build something you saw on Youtube or one of the other online how to sites, lots of really clueless sets of "designs" there, some outright dangerous.

Oh yeah, do you have a web-handle or nick you like? Calling you OSGRYB will result in us making one up for you, it's really clunky you know. At least let us in on the meaning, joke, PUN!? (:D) please

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh.... well that escalated quickly... i think ill stick with Sasha for my handle. Also, thanks for clearing that up for me frosty. I plan on sticking with proven design just need to find something to use for refractory. Itc100 is a bit too expencive for me especially with the loonie out here as low as it is.

We were just getting started too Sasha, couldn't you have waited a little longer? Things were just getting interesting. B)

ITC-100 wasn't intended for our type of furnace and wears off quickly while being crazy too expensive. It's much more reasonable buying it by the rail car load. Check Wayne's site he sells small quantities of everything you need to build a propane forge for reasonable. Metrikote or Plistex are zirconia kiln washes that fire hard to the flame face of a forge, are very durable and good IR re-radiators. 

Frosty The Lucky.