I Forge Iron

1st Post Vise

texascherokee

Well I picked up my first post vise today. I found it at an antique store in Comfort, TX. It’s a 4” Peter Wright post vise. I think for $160 I got a pretty sweet deal. It’s in amazing condition. Now just to  browse for a decent way to mount this sucker. 

7D63275E-A314-4ED7-BE43-600B0CAFD995.jpeg

Not a bad price for a tool that should last beyond you eh? How's the screw and screw box? 

Personally I tend to be cheap on buying a vise but thinking about it that isn't a bad price for a good vise like that at all.

enjoy it. 

Is the nut on the pivot bolt on too tight?  Have the cheeks of the pivot been smoothed and oiled?  Do you just need to re-arc the spring?  

As vises are rare out here I tend to pick up one or two cheap when I go to Quad-State to outfit  promising students when I get back.

Hi,

You can mount it on a Post or a Table...

Just remember to put something under the leg!!!

I see people mount these Leg Vises and not support the leg???

Which defeats the whole purpose of the vise!

Oh yea....You stole it!!!

Now you need a small 3" for smaller stuff!

It never ends!

Some with experience arching springs and have done this before should discuss how to heat it and quench it if needed.  It might help Tex and I also have a Columbian I just bought that could use the same treatment to the spring so I'd love to hear the process.  I just figured I'd heat the spring up to a good yellow, bend it, and quench it in vegetable oil then remount.  Is that the correct process? 

1 hour ago, MC Hammer said:

Some with experience arching springs and have done this before should discuss how to heat it and quench it if needed.  It might help Tex and I also have a Columbian I just bought that could use the same treatment to the spring so I'd love to hear the process.  I just figured I'd heat the spring up to a good yellow, bend it, and quench it in vegetable oil then remount.  Is that the correct process? 

You'd have to temper it too or it would be brittle and break. Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother heat treating. I made one from mild steel and it even works fine. Forge and let air cool. It'll work just fine

Great advice on the just normalizing the spring.  I think I'll try heating mine up and putting the bend back in it and let it normalize then try it to see how it performs.  With all that experience out there I'll side with it for sure knowing you all have done it and it works.  Thanks!