19Branden86

Rivet Heading

I want to start making tongs and such for different applications. Right now all I have are my set of German Wolfjaw tongs. Tongs are usually riveted together. Now, the most common I have seen is the flathead rivet. I like the look of the button head. Doesn't really matter, I know, they both work the same. It's more of just a personal preference. I wanted to know, if I just drill a shallow hole into a block of mild steel and just use that to upset a small piece of bar stock into, would I get the desired result I want, for the most part, or would my time and energy be better spent on a different method?

On 13/01/2018 at 12:32 AM, 19Branden86 said:

if I just drill a shallow hole into a block of mild steel and just use that to upset a small piece of bar stock into, would I get the desired result I want?

You don't say whether this tool you're looking to make it for use whilst you're riveting a plain piece of round bar, or if it's a tool for pre-shaping a button head on a short length of round bar for it to then be used as a rivet.

There's lots of riveting info on the site, but nevertheless, in either case ask yourself - if the tool you're looking to make gives you a button head on the underside, what gives you the same size smoothe button head on top?

Greetings 1986,

You can use the same procedure to make a button head rivet in the bolster just like a flat head . All you have to do is make a rivet header and upset the head round flush with the bolster. I make mine when I only need a few at a demo in the vise. The best is just buy some ready made they are cheap and readily accessible. Just my 2c

Another suggestion,

You can use a flairing tool holder ( lots available at junk stores) to hold a rivet when cutting it to size also works great for short pieces of round stock that are hard to hold in the vise.. Have fun. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

DE4402F3-BCF6-44F3-820C-C9B3317E6271.jpeg