I Forge Iron

Weight of Fisher sawers anvil

I have several original wooden patterns displayed with actual anvils made from them.  That is the wood pattern that made the one next to it.

The largest saw anvil listed in the Fisher catalog is 700 lb.  I have never seen any larger than ~500 lb.  I doubt they made too many of them.

I added one photo of how the weight was stamped in on these anvils.  This is a 100 lb Fisher sawmaker's anvil.  I did recheck some and only about half have the weight markings.IMG_20180115_094901099.thumb.jpg.855574e0cd63519dd884f7c305cca31a.jpg

Fisher stocked anvils in the common 50 lb increments, but they offered almost 75 standard sizes.  If they did not have what you wanted in stock, they could make it with a two week window.  They kept hundreds of patterns ready to go.

2 hours ago, humphreymachine said:

Great information. They don't appear to have incorporated the integral handles in the larger sawer's anvils(although I could see an advantage in having two handles(one at each end) on the larger ones). Any idea what the cutoff weight for integral handles was?

I will check out my anvils tomorrow and see what the range was with handles.

• 11 months later...

Looking to pick up a Sawyers anvil of some size.  I have two Peter Wright anvils but want to tune the big saw blades used on older saw mills.  Anyone know of one for sale?  Please email me at bolensboneyard@comcast.net thanks Bobby.  I also would like to know what type of hammer would have been used to do the task.  I have been told a rounding hammer, what most refer to as a knifemaker's hammer, the Japanese dog style hammer and a hammer that looks like a  cross peen with a rounded off cross end???  Thought I would go to the experts for the right answer.