Glenn

Show me your work table

Show me your work table, I am looking for ideas to build into the next one I build. 

Other than receivers, what modifications did you find most useful?

My workbenches have both a large post vise and a small one mounted at different corners to be able to handle different jobs.  I also have old steel lab chairs adjusted so I can work at the vises comfortably sitting down.  (Gulp I just looked at the "going rate" for these old chairs I got at the scrap yard for US 20 cents a pound...)

I have had another big workshop move around since making this video (I've also removed the leg vise on this bench), but the adjustable wrench setup has stayed and it's what I'm drawing your attention to. Simple but effective. 

My big table is 6.5'x 8' x 1" thick.

It has a frame made of 6" chanel, 6 legs made of 3"pipe.

It was the smallest table in a blacksmith shop I worked in in Boston which closed after a 97 year run. 

There are goesintos at each corner, I use 2" trailer hitvh receivers. My hossfeld fits in as well as many different vises, shears and othe tools. 

Under the bench is storage for steel, clamp racks on 3 sides and roon for about 12 5 gallon buckets full of tools etc. 

I made two bolt on fences of 2x2x3/8" angle

For torch work I have a heavy piece of storm drain that sits inside a 1/4" angle frame. I flipped the storm drain over so it is only long, straight pieces of steel on end, the other side is scalloped and has 1/4" round welded to it for support. A side benefit is that it is very flat and so far has stayed that way. I use it for painting stuff too. When not in use I put a piece of 1/2" plate over it.

Keep the edges and corners clear of obstructions. Mount vises to a solid post along side, attached  to the underside of the table for rigidity.

Set the legs back from the edges the depth of your deepest clamps.

Use heavy flat  plate with true square corners for the top and set it up level  so you can use it as a work surface that you can set up projects with an accurate reference to plumb, flat and square.

Put a heavy shelf  below to keep set up fixtures ,clamps etc.

Put good lights above out of harms way and a hoist.

Run a solid ground back to the welder.