I Forge Iron

Show me your work table

DuEulear , I made a similar table with the addition of a fan in the space below the cutting grate to suck out the vaporized metal  dust coming out of the plasma cut as well as a door to reach in and pick up parts that drop between the bars.

Anvil,  I never  intended to come across as saying that my way is ''the way'' , just being forthright about sharing some things that have worked for me over the years and for wide range of different projects.

Maybe I'm too old school to really ''get'' emoticons. 

Of course I don't take down set ups for a specific job until I'm done with it .  I do pick up tools or parts I'm not using  if they are not needed or in the way, off to the side within reach if I'm going to be using them again soon or back to their usual place if not.

The whole point of this thread was started by Glenn on ideas on  how to set a useful layout / work table  .

I linked another thread that  I had started about how  a dedicated  layout table was a valuable asset to a blacksmith shop.

I included ideas and pictures of my shop set up and what I have found to be useful or not and why.  

You or anyone else are free to critique how my shop is set up, I do it myself  regularly to see what I can do to improve the whole process.  

One or several, big or small , messy or neat a dedicated layout/ work  table is a great addition to have .

• 5 years later...

I would love to see this thread resurrected and be able to see y’all’s benches or work stations. I figure, like me, it will also give you an excuse to clean off your bench!

Mine is made from all scrap wood, and was recently made much, much more sturdy by a friend who threw some plywood under the 2x4s and who also added some braces. Underneath is all my non-ferrous scrap storage.

117FD76B-7A50-43EC-968F-DF0A581BD9AD.jpeg

484A0069-D707-4322-9EF3-6865B77D6C47.jpeg

Here is mine for vise.

OTher one is hybrid woodworking and machinist vise on it  .

REason why this workbench is cut diagonaly is becasue it is easier to walk  from outside to room.

Its tight spot between door and two benches.
About vises i like having like bench for it where i can throw tools when iam done with working around vise, and it is faster to grab file hammer from table, or to put grinder on it, even they dont recomend instaling post vise to workbench, i designed this workbench this way and its is a litle bit lower then machinist vise workbench.

I will see to weld better stem to postvise, becasue this one is bend that i welded on.

IMG_20220703_135729.jpg

IMG_20220703_135747.jpg

My ADHD turns every last flat surface into storage, and my focus is equivalent to a sawed off punt gun shot.  I do generally put things in the same place but short of having specific plans or goals,  my pile of in progress projects has spilled from the rack by my anvil to my tablesaw, grinder table, top of my forge, on my coal forge, the floor under the forge,  and any other flat surface including in my kitchen and kitchen table.  I have the room and will be putting in some dedicated work benches but propane is currently expensive...

52 minutes ago, Randy Griffin said:

I love mine. What are the cons?

You loose space .

You only have now workbench on three sides if you want to install shelfs or chest or something in that wall you can't.

And if shop is small you kinda can't walk nice it's not comfortable for me 

I tied L to be honest and I like when I have separated stuff.

56 minutes ago, natkova said:

You loose space .

I can see that.

I have a large area in the back for a lot of stuff. All the forging, grinding and cutting is done there. This part is only for knives. Design and assembly, tempering, fine tuning, leather work, sanding and polishing. I can’t stand for long so everything I do I must be sitting and so far this has been the best for me. A few things I will change but overall it works. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a few photos from my old shop on a computer disc.  You can kind of see one my welding bench's in one, to the right, barely make out another work table under the debris piled on it.  I had a passion for making and designing them.   I take photos of "everything" now....:)  c1_20230424_15462399.thumb.jpeg.3274142da6eb959d2ce8519c4b7bdfa2.jpeg

DSCN0078_D82P2r2b5S.thumb.jpeg.fcca5833f5c3984ddf3543311d3590d5.jpeg

Nice tables. I have some somewhere. 

I have tried to clean, I Need to do some work but lately Im just to tired or exhausted. Little by little. Then maybe there will be a boom of work. But first this mess needs organized. 

There have been periods of organization and messes but at the moment I blame having kids on the state of my shop lol. Wouldn't trade them for the world, tho. sometimes they test my resolve on that. 

I title these, "what work table?"

20230420_233734.thumb.jpg.6500429d428afb5c96e506f769a9f49e.jpg

20230420_233746.thumb.jpg.fc1f4fc4fb78a8405986cc1b2aa65cf5.jpg

20230420_233849.thumb.jpg.19073ab47c65c234ac2a69219b57cf8b.jpg

20230420_233904.thumb.jpg.4605e3d7777c4627926d0ff56bdff073.jpg

20230420_233807.thumb.jpg.a940c5adb6b11427fbb288cab4c019df.jpg

• 4 weeks later...