I Forge Iron

Getting my "T-Burner" tuned

eseemann

Good Evening from Sunny but not warm Alabama. I have installed my 1" T-Burner in what I call the forge with a face only a mother could love. These images are using a .045 ( I think) MIG tip at around 20 psi with a 1" pipe and 1 1/4" bell on the end. To my not-very-good-at-judging-this-eye the blue cone looks less solid then an oxidizing flame and maybe between oxidizing and neutral. Please let me know what you think since I am rubbish at trying to figure this out for my self.

Ernest   

20180107_165045.thumb.jpg.2227334b7c5f0d05fd6e41a44877a82b.jpg 

20180107_165053.jpg

20180107_165057.jpg

lot of dragonsbreath.  I don't realy know with the Tburner frosty will be along at some point.  But I can say with a linear burner I would only use a .35 tip in a 1"  if it's easy to change out on your set up (you followed frosty's plans) I might recommend giving it a try just to  see.

What's the volume of your forge in cu/in?

I run a 0.045" mig tip jet in my 1" burners but no flare at all let alone a bell reducer. It will bring my 700 cu/in old pipe forge to welding temp on about 9psi. and melt it at 11psi.

However what my burners do at any given psi means nothing to your burners. People think there should be some kind of performance curve based on psi are mistaken. 20psi seems like a lot though, how far can you turn it down?

Frosty The Lucky.

BM and Frosty,

I think I have it up too high and am wasting gas at this point. I think I can get it as low at 5 to 10 PSI before it starts sounding like a V-1 Buzzbomb. I can always take the bell off and see what that does as well.

thanks

Ernest

Don't aim for A psi, run what works best where you are. If it works better with the bell reducer then use it. Just because I do a thing doesn't make it right. I've been seeing guys build T burners I would've sworn wouldn't work but they're producing beautiful flames. I didn't do much tinkering once I got one that worked reliably. 

Tinker that baby, the basic idea behind the "T" is sound but it's not set in stone.

Frosty The Lucky.