I Forge Iron

Columbian?

upsetter

IMG_4545.JPG

I don’t see any marks on this vise , the mounting plate looks like a Columbian but it’s a little different from my other Columbian. The top half above the screw box looks very different as well. It’s 42” tall with 5.5” jaws and weighs about 100 lbs . I’ll weigh it this week. I was told it might be a late model drop forged model but I’m not an expert on these so if any of you folks could help identify it or have any catalog pics that would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks Thomas , I realize that could be the case here but we’re there other manufacturers that had that shape to the top half jaw area of the vise? It looks very stocky to me . I just wish it was shorter, it looks like it could handle some serious forging . 

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

I need to go measure the 5.5 inch jaw vise I sold to a friend as IIRC it looked like that one.  Unfortunately it's mounted at the University 3 hours to the north so it would be a while before I get out there again...

Thanks! I’ll take this apart and get it cleaned up this week . Maybe I’ll discover some markings , it’s fairly crusty. The screw and box look really nice . It had the wedges welded together with an angle iron welded across the mounting plate when I bought it. So I went ahead and fixed all that mess. I’m very happy with my flea market find 

• 2 months later...

Columbian post vises are noted for having unbeveled legs in their more recent production, (I've had one I sold that still had the complete stamping on the back of the back jaw: Columbian, Cleveland OH so I know it was one).  I Believe that some of their earlier ones had beveled legs---is that what you mean by "corners"?

On 3/11/2018 at 10:35 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Columbian post vises are noted for having unbeveled legs in their more recent production, (I've had one I sold that still had the complete stamping on the back of the back jaw: Columbian, Cleveland OH so I know it was one).  I Believe that some of their earlier ones had beveled legs---is that what you mean by "corners"?

Yes.