I Forge Iron

Quenching Tool Steel Literally

I have some old Snap-On tools that I want to forge into center punches my Snap on guy tells me that they use a special steel that is only available to Snap on. So my question is has anyone ever heat treated snap on tools. Now normally I only use new steels that I know what they are and how to heat treat but I thought this would be cool to keep in my tool box and for my employees also seeing as all of us only use snap on tools it would be nice to have hand made repurposed snap on punches. Would I use oil quench ? or water ?

On a safety note, are these chrome plated?  You may want to read up in the safety section on the dangers of forging things that are chrome plated. 

I love repurposing but I stay away from things that are chrome plated. Just not worth the risk. 

Note that "special steel that is only available to Snap on" does not necessarily mean "good for center punches".

When using unknown steels you TEST your heat treat.  I always start with a warm oil quench and if it gives me the properties I want in a quenched steel I then test tempering temps using an oven and starting cool (300 degF) and work your way up by 25 degF increments testing as you go till you get what you want or decide the steel won't work for what you want. If oil quench does't work then I try brine if it was soft and air if it was too hard/cracked.

WARNING!  If a tool *you* made or modified fails in use by one of your employees then YOU are liable for any injury!  If a punch chips when struck and a piece embeds itself in an employee's eye *you* will be paying for it and I doubt your insurance will cover any of it since you modified the tool!

46 minutes ago, JustNick said:

I thought this would be cool to keep in my tool box and for my employees also seeing as all of us only use snap on tools it would be nice to have hand made repurposed snap on punches

Being "COOL" is Not a good excuse to repurpose tools, and Thomas does have a "great warning". Sounds like you have not done any heat treating so, you might be just better off using a "Snap-on" center punch from Snap-on.

Steve, Actually I have read the pinned notes you wrote and others. but as I stated it is a unknown alloy to me so I figured someone in the brain trust of IFI might have worked with it before. Hence the question. Thanks

Daswulf,  No not chrome plated. I would not even attempt it if it were. Thank you for your valuable input

Thomas, Thanks for your reply that is more of what I was asking/looking for. and yes no doubt I would be testing everything long before I gave a punch to anyone to use. And if it were to fail I would make it a necklace or the like. Thank you for your input

Jeremy, I am not trying to "be cool" as you are. Yes I have heat treated my fair share but as stated I always know exactly what the metal is I am working with. And you might be better off making useful replies to what people are trying to spark a conversation about on a internet forum.

I may be new to forging but I am far from new to metal working, machining, and common sense, I understand this forum gets a lot of new comers to metal working etc, but some here might need to realize that others might know a thing or two about safety and liabilities before just being out right arrogant in there responses .

Bring on the flaming  

JustNick; remember that these replies are written for everybody in the world that may read them and so some parts may not apply directly to you. As we are not aware of your background or how you tend to do things, we often err on the side of caution.  I had a friend who died from complications of Metal Fume Fever and he was an experienced smith; but made a beginners mistake...please forgive some of us for going overboard or for reiterating the basics you may already be well aware of.

One to 1 replies are generally done through PM.   

• 2 weeks later...

Snap-on tools are made from a variety of metals. For instance impact sockets are made from a different alloy than sockets for a hand ratchet. (impact is actually softer steel) They do not use the same steel for all their tools. Depends on the tools use as to what it is made from. 

By the way MAC is much cheaper, just as good, and same warranty.