I Forge Iron

refractory cement type

Building my first forge and see on here the go to type of coating over ceramic fibre is kastolite-30.

I ended up ordering this https://www.psh.ca/index.php?item_id=RMOR3 thinking it will work fine as a 1/2" layer over 2" of ridigized ceramic wool.

but now I'm getting the impression that castable and refractory mortar have different uses?

so what do you guys think, will this product work or is it not even worth using?

many thanks

Guessing by the description of "sticking bricks together" you have a refractory cement.  That is used to hold refractory (like fire bricks) together.  It can not handle direct flame contact and will crumble crack and fall away.  You need a hard refractory (kastolite 30/misou) not a refractory cement.

2 hours ago, coops1911 said:

but now I'm getting the impression that castable and refractory mortar have different uses?

so what do you guys think, will this product work or is it not even worth using?

They do have different uses.  If you have not already coated the blanket I would recommend getting the right material.  Kastolite 30 works well in this application.  If you have already used the cement you may want to try it out, but don't expect it to last long.