Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Golabek

Bronze knife casting

Well, it looks nifty, be interesting to see it finished, know how it works.

I dunno, the right kind of bronze is supposed to be roughly hard as mild steel if work hardened. Wouldn't apply to cast though, and I wouldn't try some of the other traditional hardeners like arsenic. Where'd ya get the tin? Solder? Old pewter knicknacks?

Their is a reason knives in the historical record are designed the way they are. It certainly is a thought process tho. I think you have made a good start with your experiments.

I buy my tin nice and clean from rotometals.com   The trick is to cast the shape that's ready for pounding out and work hardening rather than the shape of the finished piece.

I got the copper from a nearby company which had pure copper scrap, and the tin from 97%tin solder 3% copper.

The edge is work hardened, i made a little jug which you can hammer and slide the edge back and forth to get perfect hits. 

Im now finishing the handle (zapote) and planning the next one, with a very different blade shape. This one is a bit thick, weighs 318g for a 9.75inch knife. I wasnt sure how strong it would be and left some margin of error for casting.

received_1583060185105778.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpg