I Forge Iron

Just aquired my first anvil today :D

I'm very exited. It's not an actual anvil in the traditional sense. It's just a block of steel, a remanent, that I got from a local fabricator. I think it's pretty sweet though. I wish I had a way to post pictures for you guys but alas my old flip-phone doesn't have any way to transfer them to my computer and it doesn't take very good photos anyway.

It's a solid block of steel. Dimensions are 4" x 5" x 8" It is very smooth and flat on all sides. Edges and corners are very straight and sharp. It only has a very slight layer of surface rust, not even a layer really, just kind of spotty here and there. It will clean up very nicely. Weight? Not real sure, haven't been able to put it on a scale yet. Feels like it's at least in the neighbourhood of 50 lbs.

I think I might ever so slightly take the sharp edges off of the face that I'm going to be working on. I don't know. Is that advisable?

So now it's on with trying to come up with a suitable forge. I'm trying to go with the 2 gallon Freon tank suggested here on IFI in the Gas Forges 101 thread. But so far all the HVAC dealers I've talked to in my area just look at me like I'm wanting to make meth or a terrorist trying to make a bomb, LOL. I'll just have to keep on looking. Going to try to check out some local scrap yards hopefully next week.

What you have is exactly an anvil in the traditional sense. Good find! Stand it on end, and get to forging!

If you're not absolutely wedded to the idea of a gas forge, check out the various JABOD threads to see about an easy and cheap way to start forging with solid fuel.

That is about 45 pounds. It has 6 faces. It will work best if you turn it so it stands 8 inches and all the mass is under where the hammer hits.

If you need to radius edges, radius only the 4 edges on one end, leaving the other edges sharp. This way you have the best combination of modifications.

Cookies or a hot cup of coffee go a long way to opening doors, or having him give you a phone call when interesting things show up.

Just stop in, hand him a bag with the contents and leave. Remember that they are not payment or a trade item, just a way to say thank you with no expectation in return.

6 hours ago, Glenn said:

Cookies or a hot cup of coffee go a long way to opening doors, or having him give you a phone call when interesting things show up.

Just stop in, hand him a bag with the contents and leave. Remember that they are not payment or a trade item, just a way to say thank you with no expectation in return.

Yeah I like that. It's a nice gesture. I think I will stop in sometime and leave the guys a box of donuts sometime.