I Forge Iron

Landed on a saber tooth that bit him in the eye

Tubalcain2

OK, I just managed to stab myself in the face with a flying 1000deg. knife. Yup. I was working it too cold and it flipped out of my locking pliers and into my nose. Penetrated to just inside my nostril, maybe 3/8 of an inch or so. I am SUPER thankful it was not 2 in. higher or I would be an eye short right now.  Moral of the story? Don't work your steel cold, and use the proper tool for holding your stock. Locking pliers are great, but they are not for all stock shapes. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Ouch. Yeah lucky it was not worse. Locking pliers also can loosen up with hits and jarring around.

yup. more/better tong stock is on the list.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherViking said:

Ouch! I assume you're either stitched back up or sporting a nice nose ring at this point?

No, i'm letting it heal naturally. We try to avoid the medical system as much as possible.

I ran across these this evening while looking through my resource piles. 

Just in case you see these at HF and think " oh, those will work great for forging" No They Don't!  They continually open a bit using them as you hammer the stock. The picture is as closed as they get now and they only got worse as I had used them years ago. Junky and dangerous. Just a public service announcement from a past failure. 

image.jpg

Oh yeah, WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES! 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I learned the cold steel part from holding tongs between my legs while using hammer and tooling on the stock. It will let you know when the plasticity goes down.

You ARE talking about the plasticity of the steel. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.