I Forge Iron

Norlund Style Axe Dimensions?

I have been thinking about trying to forge a Norlund style axe. I would like to forge out of a single piece of steel (high carbon). I am wondering what starting stock size I should use for this type of axe. Of course, will vary based on full axe v. hatchet. However, if anyone has made this style and has suggestions on the size steel I should try, I would appreciate it. 

I can’t help much but when I looked to see what you’re asking about I see multiple styles. Which one are you wanting to know about? The different styles will need varying sizes of steel in order to make it look right. For example the voyager is smaller than the cabin axe meaning much less steel needed to make it than you would for the cabin axe. 

Fascinating. I have a Norlund, it is a single bevel axe, either a Voyager, or a Tomahawk.  I will have to weigh it, or get specific dimensions.  The main thing is, it is hands down my favorite limbing axe.

Will you be folding or punching to obtain the eye?

Good luck on your Project.

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Addendum

18 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

A piece of steel measuring 1x1.5x3” will come in a hair over the 1.25 lbs of the voyager axe. I’m not sure how big it’s supposed to be. You might wanna try 2” instead of 1.5”.

I was trying to decide between .75" and 1" by 1.5" I asked around and someone told me the poll of theirs measured 1 3/8 x .75. I am afraid the .75 will end up with eye walls that are too thin. On the other hand, cheaper than 1" and is less metal to move by hand than the thicker stock. Might have to play around with both and see what I like and can handle!

15 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Fascinating. I have a Norlund, it is a single bevel axe, either a Voyager, or a Tomahawk.  I will have to weigh it, or get specific dimensions.  The main thing is, it is hands down my favorite limbing axe.

Will you be folding or punching to obtain the eye?

Good luck on your Project.

Robert Taylor

I think I will be punching. I have been messaging with Brent Bailey on ordering a slit and drift that will work. I work alone, so not sure I can handle punching it. On the other hand, I don't have experience with forge welding, so hesitant to plan on that.