Sign in to follow this  
Krylok

Coal vs. Propane .

I'm stuck. I can't decide which one to build. Been weighing the pros and cons and it seems like it really comes down to operating cost and from what I've gathered a coal forge is a lot less expensive to run. Am I missing something? Why are so many people running propane forges?

Gas forges have advantages over solid fuel in that the fire is usually cleaner, the heat is set it and forget it, you can have multiple irons in the fire with less risk of burning them, etc, etc.

Of course with solid fuel you can more easily heat a spot instead of the whole piece. You’re able to heat pieces that are large or irregular in shape. The list can go on. 

It depends on what you need and prefer to use. I have and use both depending on what the project at hand needs. 

its nice to have both. For me propane is way more assessable than coal. So I use propane and charcoal

Also another advantage of a coal forge is the ability to use coal or charcoal. Jabod is the most inexpensive so try that first and see if you need/ want something more. 

30 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I have and use both depending on what the project at hand needs. 

Same here, small jobs usually go in the propane forge, larger ones we use coal.

I just filled our two portable propane tanks (20lb & 30lb) cost me &48.00... for &48.00 I can get 300 lbs of good coal through our club.

Pro pain to be efferent realy  requires more than one forge. Small medium and large so to speak. It is generally cleaner and you can set the tempature.

coal, on the other hand is simply a mater of more or less air to build a larger or Waller fire tuyere size dose limit exactly how large and small a particular fire can get)