I Forge Iron

Trenton?

I recently acquired a anvil from my dad and was wondering if i could get any info on the brand and possibly the date it was made from what I've seen it may be an early Trenton but some one has chiseled the name off. The foot under the horn is stamped from left to right 112 185326 and the bottom has a oval shaped indentation in it. The anvil has been also welded at the waist. And the front and back edge of the feet are stepped.

Edited by Bigshow35

The weld doesn't seem to interfere with the rebound so it must have been done right. Why would anyone have chiseled the name off. I built a electrolysis tank to remove all the rust and there was at least a pound of rust and sludge in the bottom of the tank.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Maybe they were upset that it broke at the waist. Looks torch burnt from the photo. 

Oh come on Das, sure he's new but even a REALLY new guy isn't going to believe he burnt an anvil taking a photo. :rolleyes:

The damage to the side does look like it could be from a cutting torch or possibly having the wrong kind of metal leaning against it under the leaky roof. I'd bet on an idiot with a cutting torch though.

Frosty The Lucky.