I Forge Iron

For my friend Dave

JHCC

Please say a word for my friend Dave, who suffered a stroke while on a business trip in Colorado (he lives in Boston). His husband Eric is with him and the prospects for recovery look good, but prayers appreciated nonetheless.

Dave is one of the smartest, most compassionate, and insightful people I know, and the thought of what this might do to his brain is just a bit much right now.

An update: there isn’t much to report. He continues to be in the ICU in Colorado. The prognosis is optimistic, but its timeline is unclear. Right now Eric is trying to figure out whether he’d be able to be transported back to Boston, or would have to enter a rehab in CO. Please continue to pray.

It's pretty early yet John and modern medicine has made huge improvements in stroke and TBI since I took one. We're still speaking to higher on Dave and family's behalf. Heck we might not stop when you tell us we can. We're like that you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

34 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It's pretty early yet John and modern medicine has made huge improvements in stroke and TBI since I took one. We're still speaking to higher on Dave and family's behalf. Heck we might not stop when you tell us we can. We're like that you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah that^^^^

It will take some time but it gets better each day.  Will keep everyone on the list! Saying a lot of prayers these days

• 3 months later...

Long-overdue update: Dave is back in Boston and has been bouncing back and forth between hospitals and rehab places, generally improving, but slowly. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow to remove a kidney stone that had caused problems with urinary tract infections, so additional prayers would be timely. 

Thoughts and prayers from my family to Dave and Eric. The healing from community and social ties are the strongest X factor in these times. Hopefully being back home and surrounded by loved ones helps Dave to recover fully. Best wishes

Eric just posted on CaringBridge that Dave is home! Many challenges await, but things for now are good. 

In other news, after many, many years of Zen practice, Dave had his jukai ceremony last Sunday. 

55DF39A2-9C8C-4E09-9DE5-F26064836DAB.jpeg

(Left to right:  Josh Bartok, Roshi; Kate Hartland, Sensei; Dharma Holder Rev. Bob Waldinger; Dave; Eric; Melissa Blacker, Roshi; and David Rynick, Roshi.)