I Forge Iron

New hydraulic forging press WIP (pic heavy)

blacksmith-450

Looks like a good start.

If I am thinking about it correctly, and I may not be as it has been a rough day and my brain hurts, I think the full force of the press is going to be exerted on the stich welds holding your lower I-beam section to the main I-beam.    As it is, I think you'll shear the lower section away in use.  You may be intending to strengthen that connection up, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.  

Good luck with the build!

Hi

Had to create a profile when I saw this.

What pump are you planning to pair with your cylinder?

Do you plan to put some kind of cover over the cylinder?  I only ask, because if the cylinder breaks somewhere down the line it might be a good idea to have one in place for safety reasons

So far it looks awesome, can't wait to see the finished product

On 12/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, rhitee93 said:

I think the full force of the press is going to be exerted on the stich welds

Rhitee93,

What would you suggest to reinforce the press in the case of these stitch welds? Looking at it as an amateur grinder (since I seem to grind more than weld) I would not have thought of that. Maybe you would use some stock that welds to all 4 flanges (if that is the right word) of the 2 I-beams? Before I got my 220 installed I would have drilled holes for 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

BlackSmith 450, please let us know the pump and the specs the ram requires and then post a video of you and your inner 12 year old squishing things!

thanks,

Ernest

I was not saying your set up would not work. I was saying this is the numbers that the experts say to use. Your very close to these numbers but I don't think I would try it with a 3hp. Motors do have service factors but your not suppose to design a system around that number. I don't have the book and don't know Jim so all I can go off is the people that have a lot more schooling then I and thy say this is how it's done.

There is no problem. Jim Batson wrote the book how to make a forging press. You can find it on the web.

For the specs, numbers are always more pessimistic than reality. I would not go with a 1hp or 2hp engine ... but a 3hp would be enough for my pump, I would bet a $ 2 there on it ... as for the Pats at Superbowl 2018. LOL !!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...