Sign in to follow this  
Bill in Oregon

"soft" hammer?

This has probably been asked and answered a thousand times, but is there such a thing as a soft-faced hammer for cleaning up the lines of a piece of stock to which you have added twists that won't batter the twists? Hope I am "'splainin' dis" clearly. I have an "hide" hammer that will work but the hot iron quickly burns out the hide. Maybe something like this from Thor?

https://www.thorhammer.com/hammers/hide/03-210.html

Wooden or rawhide hammer? and soft 'anvil', such as a wood or raw hide covering on the regular anvil or solid workbench?

SLAG.

2x4 or similar laid on the anvil or use a stump and a simple to make wooden mallet. No real need to buy fancy stuff when simple works great. 

Glad it's working for you Jasent. I use mine often. :) 

Dogwood is a good mallet head; no flash and it lasts a long time.

Give this a try. squeeze the bent twist in the vise keeping the work corner to corner facing the vise jaws, the untwisted portion that you're holding. Give it a turn and squeeze again. The twist is wider than the parent stock, because corner to corner measures more than flat to flat.

I use an “Andy hammer” (named for Andy Mckenzie/@Everything Mac), which is a metal hammer with a hollow socket for a replaceable wooden head. Mine is made from rebar and a chunk of ash:

77FAC4FB-8588-402C-9C02-991D8C75E3D0.jpeg