I Forge Iron

Figured wood <split from tailgating thread>

John R

I've made stocks for muzzle loaders and shotguns for years from curly maple and wild cherry and some curly walnut I found in the mountains in eastern Ky. but nothing I've ever found compares to that kind of figure in wood!!! That's gotta be the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen. Thanks for the pictures.

Jerry

wow, thats really nice wood!! That would even make nice knife handles!

Littleblacksmith 

55 minutes ago, JerryCarroll said:

I've made stocks for muzzle loaders and shotguns for years from curly maple and wild cherry and some curly walnut I found in the mountains in eastern Ky. but nothing I've ever found compares to that kind of figure in wood!!! That's gotta be the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen. Thanks for the pictures.

Jerry

Just imagine what it looks like with a nice hand rubbed oil finish.   The small red piece is about 3 inches wide and has 21 coats of oil with a touch of red stain.

Clear coat finish:

enhance

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Interestingly, the flame/tiger stripe effect is not genetic, but environmental: maple trees can acquire this growth pattern as a result of growing in areas with high winds. 

Very true.   The wood is Pacific Northwest Big Leaf Maple.   Very strong stuff, harder to carve than Walnut.   I live in the middle of its range, there are Big Leaf trees 20 feet behind the shop.  The blanks shown were cut in 1993 and are  continuing to silently air cure in my shop.  

Both environment and terrain influence the grain.    We have found the best figure in trees that grow on steep slopes and are exposed to the winds.  Prime example below:  On the side of a north facing valley.  The slope is about 60 degrees.  A big double trunked widow maker below, it was a bit of trouble to fall both trunks and stay out of trouble.

This area receives a lot of rainfall.   Maples need a lot of water.     North Olympic Peninsula of Washington State, the trees below were anywhere from 2 miles to 7 miles from salt water.

enhance

Knarley and twisted.  Both trunks were full of beautiful grain.

enhance

A good idea of the steepness:

enhance

At the sawmill.   Still knarley!!

enhance

Another tree.   This one was hanging over a canyon, about 5 miles north of the one shown above.

enhance

The road was too bad to bring in a logging truck, so we slabbed it up with chainsaws.

enhance

Wood to die for.  No finish on the wood, just ran through the planer.

enhance

The grain depends on how the log is sawed.  Note below that the top flat side is tiger stripe,  the front edge is "flame" or "quilt".

enhance

Quilted:

enhance

enhance

enhance

13 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

wow, thats really nice wood!! That would even make nice knife handles!

Littleblacksmith 

I will look through the box of cutoffs for a hammer handle sized piece.  I save all the cutoffs from the blanks for knife handles.

Yea finding the tree with the good figure is not easy.   We have a lot of Big Leaf Maple here where I live but the figured trees are not too common.   Back in 1994 and 1995 when we were cutting the Maple trees I got to the point of being able to recognize a tree with good grain:   Peel off some bark at the trunk and look for the wavy rippled knobs on the surface.

The wood in the photos has been silently curing since 1994 and is now at a good moisture level for stock making.  11 percent is about as low as the wood drys here in the wet Pacific Northwest.   I live about 2 miles from salt water.

Rippled surface:   

2000-12-31%20034.jpg

Checking moisture

40X%20Maple%20Stock%20017.jpg

On 11/30/2017 at 7:54 AM, ThomasPowers said:

In your second recent picture that tree also looks full of raccoons...

He hit the ground running when the chain saw was started.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:10 PM, arkie said:

Coons show up in the darndest places!!

amen to that! had one a few months ago jump down from the top of my shop door when I walked in and scared me half to death.

littleblacksmith