I Forge Iron

New Around Here!

ocrossley

Hey There! 

Thanks for letting me be a part of this wonderful group.

This Sunday just passed I had my first blacksmithing lesson with London Blacksmith Kevin Boys and managed to come out with this basic Viking ladies knife  (I think? :huh:), pictured below, in a little over 2 hours! 

5a1d97810f478_ScreenShot2017-11-28at17_05_38.png.28396118847dcd9c7129f5cfdaf5ceee.png

I have been simply obsessed with blacksmithing for about 2 years now, but haven't been able to pursue anything... Partly to do with living in central London ( You know how hard it is to find a forge in London?!) and also with me finishing my University studies. This is the first time I have been able to put things id learnt on paper into actual physical use and nothing has ever felt better! 

Its so primal and elemental!

I thought I would join the group so I can learn more and more every day, and that I can also keep some folks up to date with my progression in my weekly 2 hour class and my quest for a reasonably priced workshop! 

Thanks all and hello!

Welcom to Glenn's international block party.

Iron Dwarf and the other English meme era might be able to help.

If you can find a place to work we can certainly help you with cheep kit that will fit in two 5 gallon buckets. We have had a member forge on his apartment balcony and finish knives in his closet. Another smith hid his forge in a barbecue grill and forged on campus behind the dorms. As a farrier I forge out of a truck most often and vans were often used when coal forges were the norm for farriers. Honestly a workable smithy will fit under a 10' popup canopy, but it would then take a truck to haul it.

their is a guy over in Eastern Europe who backpacks from town to town with forge and anvil.

4 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

We have had a member forge on his apartment balcony and finish knives in his closet. Another smith hid his forge in a barbecue grill and forged on campus behind the dorms. As a farrier I forge out of a truck most often and vans were often used when coal forges were the norm for farriers. Honestly a workable smithy will fit under a 10' popup canopy, but it would then take a truck to haul it.

their is a guy over in Eastern Europe who backpacks from town to town with forge and anvil.

Thanks for the swift reply Charles. 

Wow, those examples are amazing! Such dedication! 

And thank you for offering to help me out with kit, Southern Hospitality at its finest.

Looking forward to speaking again. ;)