I Forge Iron

New stump anvil

Been looking for a large stump anvil for a while.  Found this one, sold some things and bought it.  Is European, weighs 97 pounds and is dated  1688.  The face is four inches wide.    With the exception of a couple of inches of missing Horn, is in great shape for a 329 year old!   

934E51C7-6365-4CEA-AB35-2BE1D80B1F66.jpeg

062C6040-B7E9-4C41-B751-DDB8078C91E0.jpeg

329 years old? 

Its not worth your time, trust me. Send it to me and i will dispose of it. Ill pay for priority shipping :D.

All jokes aside, that is one heck of a find, and as a collector of anything that is old, i can say i am very jealous. Nice find. Treat her well! Shes been through more than you and me combined and then doubled. 

I saw one a bit smaller than yours when I bought my anvil.  The guy knew what he had though and wouldn't throw out a price or even his I don't want to sell this price.  Super find.

I'm assuming you found a date stamped somewhere on it right?  Or did you date it some other way?

The 1688 is stamped in the upper right of the shield.  The 1 and two 8’s are pretty  legible, but the 6 took a good flour dusting to be sure I was seeing it right. Got a couple of others to look at it to be sure.   I feel  very fortunate.