I Forge Iron

Questions from a newb about two different anvils

I have decided to get into blacksmithing,  but not start till January.   A combination of too much going on and wanting to take my time gathering materials as tools for the best possible prices... I’m looking at one that’s painted and is at the very bottom of a pile of junk that would probably take me 8 hours to get to.  His deal was I have to get it out, then put the stuff back and the lowest he’ll go is $300.  

This is the best possible pic I could get of it,  I read, “Armitage - mouse hole Sheffield *** hole 2.”  Without being able to get a tape on it,  I think it’s around 24” Long. Before I take this thing out can anyone tell me about it?  Brand? Size? Idea on value? Thanks!  -John

4832C323-EFC4-45C6-BFEB-4CD2CC53FB5A.jpeg

This other one is at an auction house 4 hours away from me.  They claim it’s “200 lbs +” and have no more info on it.  Any input?  What would you spend with that info? 

91CBDF59-96EE-4D76-AE70-E17AEF47682F.jpeg

Hi Bantar, Mouse hole is one of the best anvils you can get, providing the face and edges are in reasonable conditions. 

Sometimes you need to compromise. Demanding that you move the owners junk around is a bit of an unusual request but it may be worth it.

24" may be, at a guess some 180 - 200 lb

No chance to get a forklift, tractor or any other machine near the junk? Get a cable around the anvil and pull it out with the car? 

Good luck and I hope the Mouse Hole turns out to be a good usable anvil. The price, if you can disregard your day of labour is very good.

Be prepared to walk on the latter, auction fever sets in and folks will bid crazy high for stuff. I generally know going in what is fair price, and set a hard stop at that price. I also will not start biddding, unless absolutely no one else dose, in that case no more than 1/2 what you are willing to spend. Once you hit your hard stop walk away. 

As to the second, you will have the same amount of time involved in digging it out as driving to see the other one. Both need to be evaluated in person to determine dammage or repair work.

london pattern anvils are a rather late development in anvil tech, for pushing 4 thousand years (neir east and Far East iron ages started about 1200 bc) an anvil was a lump of iron with out a horn, Hardy or prichel hole. A trip to a scrap yard can yield a serviceable anvil for $20. A working forge can be built for $20 and a serviceable hammer can also be had for $20. Would suck to invest a $1000 only to descover smithing isn't for you. 

You estimate that the Armitage - mouse hole Sheffield anvil will take 8 hours to dig out, 8 hours to put all the junk back.  I do not know where you are located or what your hourly wage is, but Federal minimum wage in the USA is $7.25 per hour. If you hire a good ole boy to dig that anvil out if the junk pile, then put the junk back, you will need to pay him for 16 hours work or 16 x 7.25 or $116.00 and any taxes involved. Hope his tetanus shots are up to date and that he does not get injured. A trip to the hospital and you could have bought a brand new anvil.

Mouse holes are considered good anvils.  You have an anvil, in unknown condition, with an unknown weight, for $116 labor and $300 fee, for $416. 

Ditto with auctions. I used to buy powertools at the police auction to resell on ebay (long time ago) but had to give it away when the auction became more popular. People were bidding higher than new price on Chinese junk at the auctioneers delight. 4 hrs seems like a long way to travel for a punt. i would do a deal with the Mousehole. If it is good enough for you to buy you put the junk back ... if it is a dud, the owner can do that and you walk away :)

A photo of the junk pile, so we can see what your dealing with, would be nice. Can you uncover just enough of the anvil to see the weight stamped into the side and the face? You may want to try to use your camera and get enough of a photo to determine the weight and face condition.

Any chance of attaching something to the hardie hole or waist of the anvil and pulling it out?

Another thing to watch with auction is forgetting to add on the tax and buyer's premium if there is one. Those can add 25% to the bid price. 

Hmmm, you dig out the anvil, and you don't want it because of unseen issues. I would make sure it got put back at the bottom of the pile and the scrap put back on top it. 

if it's in good shape 2$/lb for that mousehole in my area is a steal. thats a common price for "lesser brand" anvils around here, so for a mousehole it would be very nice. 

If it were me I would have a contingent with the seller that he's willing to drop down the price if there is notable damage. It would suck to waste hours digging out an anvil that's near useless from being used as a cutting table or with a cracked heel. 

Admittedly, I'm a newbie, but I'd dig like a possessed mole to get that Mouse Hole out.  It's only your time and some grunt work.  I 2nd the idea of getting a chain around it and tugging it out of the pile with a car or truck or something if the guy will let you.  Looks like there's some paint on that anvil too.  As someone who looked for an anvil for over a year, I would have been happy to dig that baby out just to take a peek at it. 

Bottom line, make sure you are really happy with the anvil you purchase and don't get robbed by the seller who thinks it's worth more than it is.  Check out the AIA book from the local library and study the different anvils out there so that you can talk intelligently about them with the seller.