I Forge Iron

Industrial Ajax Spring hammer HP?

• 1 month later...

Well i managed to get the time to get the destroyer of worlds up and running. I cant beleive what it did. Ive had some 100 pound Kinyon style hammers, and a few mechanicals before but nothing ever gobbled up the material like this beast does. it took 1 inch thick 5160 down to 1/8 thick in roughly 3 seconds with a 1 inch long piece on the flat dies. i never guessed it would have so much power. it also has amazing light touch. i switched it to a slack belt drive instead of the traditional double pulley with the belt that drifts. just gotta make a brake for it and paint it up and then i will post a video.

I would never get caught up in the holy wars of what style hammers are the best mechanical or air and dupont linkage or spring or strap hammer, I see how they all have their advantages but i will say i never expected this 1890's hammer could be so gentle and caring with the steel and then be able to hit with that much power from one blow to the next!

Pic of the completed hammer, the belt was glued and stitched very well. Really good leather working custom company made the belt for me. will post some vid of running on the weekend. Now I gotta make its little brother, maybe a 25 or 50 pounder built same design but with a tire hammer clutch and the return spring on the back of the helve so no need for counterweight on the wheel and spring return should provide the 1 stroke hits I would like to make it capable of.

Surprising that this beastie was gentle enough and had enough control that i was able to chisel lines into some 1/2" square bar for rubicks twists last night.

IMG_2517.JPG

• 2 weeks later...