I Forge Iron

Noob Needs Help <split from HIjack>

Good morning from Australia..:) 

Im very new to this process of Forging / Smelting. And unfortunately, due to sensitive time restrictions on a important Science experiment i need to undertake alone - i need to jump into the deep end quicksmart!! 

I need to Cast some rectangle bars of a Iron alloy (specifically Iron, Manganese & Phosphorus). This part being the most difficult of the experiment in its entirety... 

Could it be possible, to use powdered forms of the mentioned metals along with some coke for smelting.. to cast these bars? Or do i need to take a different approach.. 

First, the terms you use in your post show that you don't have much understanding of what you're attempting. Smelting is not melting. Melting ferous alloys without proper training and equipment can KILL OR MAIM YOU as well as anyone else nearby. You must NOT go into this QUICKLY or ALONE!  Plenty of members on this forum can advise you with years of experience, but they will all give you the same warning.

Remember what you put into the crucible may NOT be what you pour out of the crucible too.  Phosphorus makes for cold short iron for forging, Sulfur makes for hot short iron. Can you explain how the interaction of your crucible will change the content of it?  What about the flux used?  Time at temp?

This reads to me very much like: "I'm very new to this process of flying a plane. And unfortunately, due to sensitive time restrictions on a important Science experiment i need to undertake alone - i need to jump into the deep end quicksmart!! "  What would you say to someone asking you *that*?   Besides there is no fast way to safely jump into the deep end quick and NO project is worth killing/maiming yourself over.