I Forge Iron

Old Hammer ID help please

I have this hammer in South Africa which I would like to ID.

Can anyone help?

I believe it used to have a Dupont type spring and toggles

The only two machines I know of which had a hole through the frame for forging long pieces were Dupont or Fairbanks

2013-11-03 15.39.17.jpg

2013-11-02 11.22.29-1.jpg

2013-11-02 11.22.19.jpg

On 11/23/2017 at 4:37 PM, jeremy k said:

Sorry, I assumed it was a Fairbanks from the mention of that name, After re-reading I see your trying to identify your hammer. I cant find my book at the moment to have a look.

Hi Jeremy

any luck finding your book?

Hi Beaudry

No, I wish to purchase and restore it to its former glory and use it in my workshop hammering Damascus Steel billets. I am a Bladesmith.

The linkages between the ram and spring ends are mechanical toggles. This particular one is not original and a previous owner has modified it. I think the existing configuration is too heavy and not flexible enough.

If I could establish what make it is, I should be able to get it back to original standard

Thank you for your interest

Dali

The hammer in the original posting above is not in the Pounding out the Profits book that I could see on a quick flip thru. Although that book is just on American made hammers - the above hammer may have been made somewhere else around the big blue marble.

The picture below with the "thru hole" is like the frame of the 1900 year Little Giant I had, but I had the DuPont style linkage on mine Vs. the ball coupling.

LG.jpg