JHCC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi John,

If you have Galvanized or Zinc around... get rid of it!!! Lol! I use muriatic acid to remove plating.

It works fast but I believe they have the death penalty in your town if you bring it into the city limits! BTW, I located

the charger. My son "Borrowed it for a day" a month ago. Stop in pick it up and hit some steel!

IMG_20171125_171500.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:01 PM, Daswulf said:

Will do Arkie. Just as soon as I paint the living room........ :( 2 tone :huh:

Das, replying on this thread so as not to clutter up the other....... Like was said, just wrap a piece of wire around a clean spot ( I like copper) and hang it. This pic is showing several pieces being cleaned (hanging on the aluminum channel) and several sacrificial electrodes (clamps on the outside edge of the tank).  You can add as many parts and electrodes as you want. But will be limited by your chargers output.  Just don't let yer wires cross.....    Life is Good                               Dave

38.jpg

I was curious about the possibilities and the low aggressive method (no solvents, no acids) and tried to build my own de- rusting apparatus. Unfortunately the battery charger (motorcycle) turned out as not powerful enough. Build a cathode cage from rebar and start with a couple recovered raw horse shoes. Looking for a more powerful charger now on second hand sites. Greetings, Hans

IMG_20171125_153822.jpg

IMG_20171125_153801.jpg

I just realized that I must have had a dyslexic moment last night. Ugh.. I hooked my leads up backwards.  I even double checked which way they go before hand but upon looking at different setups online something caught my attention and I double checked the picture I took and it dawned on me. 

Oh well. I'll reset it up again correctly when I get home from work. 

Seriously, though, does anyone have any thoughts about using electrolysis for removing galvanization from pipe? I've got a lot of different sizes of conduit that I want to cut into 3" lengths and weld together as tool holders, but I'd prefer to avoid acids if possible.

Well, electrolysis Was happening. Lol. Got the leads swapped so it will derust the piece I actually wanted de rusted. Think I'll be wearing gloves next time I get something out of the tank as well. Concentrated rust water is pretty nasty. Of course as soon as I picked the wet rusty piece up I got a phone call...:rolleyes:

Rust to red....is my sayin'......

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Concentrated rust water is pretty nasty

And that's why I hang my pieces on wire........       

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Seriously, though, does anyone have any thoughts about using electrolysis for removing galvanization from pipe?

Yes......                                                                                          Dave

I just thought of some more things.....If you put yer hand in the water with the charger on and the pieces still hooked up you can get a FEEL for the process. It's a rather SHOCKING experience. For me, this only happens in the line of site path. It's kind of handy to determine if you process is working, if your charger does not have an amp meter.

Also, if you find the need to speed up or slow down the "cookin'",(as I sometimes call the process) the manual settings on your charger....ie: volts and amps will give you some control. On very large parts with clean sacrificial electrodes, the 6volt setting may be used to keep from overloading yer charger.

I would not recomend  cleaning non ferrous metal. It may not hurt, but I don't push my luck. Hmmm....Now I wunder...Do you think it will remove scale from a forged piece? I see an experiment in the works.... more to follow if ya need it                     Life is Good               Dave      

Gents, it's finally works -buy a new charger for about 40 bucks (probably from China) but with Amp-meter and selection switch for 5  till 20 Amps and 20 till 80. There is also an external fuse easy to change if overloaded. Very curious wat I will find tomorrow morning. However the rust is floating and the bubbles rise up. 

Dave keep the life 'sparkling' so there is no need on hair spray or a pacemaker :D

Cheers, Hans

IMG_20171128_215952.jpg

22 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Before long I'll have a bigger setup.

In that case here is another tip.....a pressure washer comes in real handy when cleaning parts and electrodes on a bigger setup. After that I'll let you in on a tip of how to keep those parts from re rusting immediately.             Life is Good             Dave