I Forge Iron

New Coal Forge I just finished.

Perk-Bilt

I just finished up my new coal forge over the weekend.

Laurel Machine and Foundry firepot.

I built the hearth from 1/4" x 3" angle

for the frame, 1/4" steel plate top.

The blower and airgate is from Kayne and Son's, and was on my other setup.

I'm very impressed with the Laurel Machine firepot. It's around 1" thick and a very clean castings. Great people to deal with.

I had previously been using a steel firepot that I fabricated from 1/2" plate. And it is still holding up great after 3 years of service.

I'm donating it to a friend who is getting started in the craft along with a champion hand cranked blower I rebuilt.

IMG_20171119_152852101.jpg

IMG_20171119_192433525.jpg

IMG_20171119_192447686.jpg

IMG_20171119_192504451.jpg

I have the same firepot, and love it. Looks like you got their tuyere also- that wasn't available when I got mine. Forge looks good, but I think you will end up wishing you had a little more real estate on your table. The space between the firepot and the side cut outs looks fine, but you need a bit more room to pile your coal, tongs and stuff. What kind of flue/ chimney will you be using?

Steve

1 hour ago, Stash said:

I have the same firepot, and love it. Looks like you got their tuyere also- that wasn't available when I got mine. Forge looks good, but I think you will end up wishing you had a little more real estate on your table. The space between the firepot and the side cut outs looks fine, but you need a bit more room to pile your coal, tongs and stuff. What kind of flue/ chimney will you be using?

Steve

I made the Tuyere myself. 5" OD 3/16" wall tube with a 3" OD x 11 gauge wall tube for the airgate attachment.

I already have a super sucker hood piped out through the roof in 12" duct.

I mainly did this one to have much taller sides than the old one.

It is a little bigger than my old top plate.

Never had an issue with available space .my tongs and other tools hang next to the forge on several racks fastened to a wall. Easy access.My smithy is only 8' x 12', has three sides and a roof. 

Thanks for the kind words. I e been smithing now for almost 3 years, and specialize in making tools. Hammers, sledge hammer, too and bottom tools, chisels and punches.

I built a Clay Spencer tire hammer earlier in the year, and finished up a 16 ton hydraulic forging press just a couple months ago. Very handy equipment to have around.

I also do "artsy" stuff when the mood strikes..

I have been a metal fabricator for around 40 years, and have a successful business building chassis for drag race cars. So metal is in my blood Lol.

Just something about making metal subdue to your wishes. I love everything about metal work, so smithing was a natural progression "Back to the old ways" for me.