Drill press
Bench grinder
Angle grinder
Welder
Power saw

Then I can manage without but use a lot:
Hammer drill for mounting stuff to masonry
Oxy Acet.

I think general hand tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches, hacksaw etc. go without saying.

One way to look at this is "What tools do you bring with you to demo" as sort of the minimum take on what tools are needed:

For me:
Forge: Firepot, table, coal, blower
Anvil: Anvil, stump, hardy, bic, fullers
Postvise: Postvise, legs to hold it up when used travelling
Tools: Tongs, hammers, punches, drifts, twisting wrenches
Shade: large canvas tarp, poles, ropes, stakes.

Brain first, education or imagination tied for second and third place.

I buy all my electrical tools and such out of necessity. While I can make most of the other stuff it just isn't cost effective for much of it. For instance a "C" clamp isn't all that hard to make by hand but it takes a lot of time to hand cut the threads for screw and box .

Okay, that isn't the question.

Most important in my shop are measuring devices whether they're micrometeres or knotted string. Being able to accurately measure, divide, multiply and mark is all important. With a good piece of string you hardly need any other layout tools except something to mark with. Heck, you can do more things with string than any other single measuring device.

Cutting tools from saws and chisels to files and sandpaper.

Hammers of course.

Vises, clamps and dogs.

Anvil, stakes, various dies, sets, hardy tools, etc.

Torch & welders, etc.

Handling equipment from pry bars to cranes, I'm only limited by what I can move around.

Machine tools from drill presses to lathes and mills, though these fall under cutting tools I'll give them their own slot farther down the necessity cue.

The pickup truck and trailer are probably my most essential pieces of equipment, they're so important I don't include them in the list as they supercede mere smithy/shop duties.

Frosty

Goatman there are no basic smithing tools you cannot make; be it forge, anvil, tongs, bellows, hardy tools, etc.

Now you have to decide if it's in your best interest to make them rather than buy some of them, especially if some of the ones you can buy would be cheaper and much faster to buy than make...

Now fancy tools like a screwpress, induction forge, plasma cutter would be a mite difficult to make at the quality/safety level as buying would yield.

Me
forge blower and coals..
hammers can forge with out it..
anvil hard to work with out it but it can be done..
tongs
anvil tools cutters,fuller,dies and so on
Hardening tubs oil and water
vise
bench grinder with stone and wirebrush
welder
angle grinder
borax
and so on..

Daniel CL.

BTW is it possible to get a non automatic plasma/laser cutter to use like a kind of "wood band saw style" only for metal ? i know it would not be safe but very useful :D