Frank1967

Sher, Shea or sheb anvil dated 1896

Looking for any information on my grandfather's anvil. Can't make out the name for sure but I can send pics if anyone knows anything about this anvil. Can't find any info on the web. Thanks

I can't tell either.

If I had to guess though, I' d say it is a Fisher made in 1896.

Darned good anvil if it isn't beat up too bad.

can't tell that either. 

17 hours ago, Frank1967 said:

Looking for any information on my grandfather's anvil. Can't make out the name for sure but I can send pics if anyone knows anything about this anvil. Can't find any info on the web. Thanks

Adding pictures would make all the difference in the world.  

Fisher, cast iron body, steel face, the date was put on as they had a warranty period.

Don't know where you are at but there is a Fisher Museum on the United States east coast and it's proprietor is on this form as well: NJanvilman 

Fisher anvil, made in 1896, in Trenton, NJ.  Rough shape:  missing mounting lugs, the steel plate originally on the horn, the back part of the anvil from the hardy hole.  The anvil obviously had a very hard life.  But I am sure lots of things got made and repaired using it.

Since the anvil has a family history, to you it is priceless.  I would make a brass tag and stamp in its provenance and glue it to the anvil.  History is often forgotten over the generations.

Welcome to IFI Frank,

Be sure to "toll the anvil" three times every time you enter the shop to honor your Grandfather and all the work that was done on it. I'm sure there is a lot of life left in it for light work.

If you will edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and a lot of answers are location dependent.