I Forge Iron

Sher, Shea or sheb anvil dated 1896

17 hours ago, Frank1967 said:

Looking for any information on my grandfather's anvil. Can't make out the name for sure but I can send pics if anyone knows anything about this anvil. Can't find any info on the web. Thanks

Adding pictures would make all the difference in the world.  

Fisher anvil, made in 1896, in Trenton, NJ.  Rough shape:  missing mounting lugs, the steel plate originally on the horn, the back part of the anvil from the hardy hole.  The anvil obviously had a very hard life.  But I am sure lots of things got made and repaired using it.

Since the anvil has a family history, to you it is priceless.  I would make a brass tag and stamp in its provenance and glue it to the anvil.  History is often forgotten over the generations.

Welcome to IFI Frank,

Be sure to "toll the anvil" three times every time you enter the shop to honor your Grandfather and all the work that was done on it. I'm sure there is a lot of life left in it for light work.

If you will edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and a lot of answers are location dependent.

• 1 year later...

My brother in law dug an anvil out of his scrap iron pile and gave it to me. After I removed most of the rust it  had the same SHEA cast into the base with a date of 1923. It has a more conventional shape to it, and has had some hard use. It also has some vertical marks cast into the base at the back. I'm wondering if these are an indication of its weight. 

Welcome to IFI, Scott!

If it has similar stamping it is likely a Fisher as well, but others know much more than I do.  I doubt the lines have anything to do with weight, however.  If you post a picture you will get all the answers that can be had about your anvil.

Also, check out this post right away so you can get the most out of this forum:

Lou