I Forge Iron

Send Me Your Anvil Pics...

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum. I am an anvil collector looking for unique and rare pictures of anvils you may have or have come across. Also looking for any kind of pictures of OLD ENGLISH anvils. Anything 1780-1850. Please post them to the IForgeIron Gallery or this thread.

Thank You

Do you actually "use" these collected anvils? To collect but not use an anvil seems like a waste of a good tool to me.

If you browse the photo gallery you'll see lots of anvil pictures. Also there is a thread here somewhere that many have posted their anvil pictures to.

I like the big lump with no horn. Just meant for one thing I guess. I also like that double horn with the green cast to it. Now that would be a handy one to have. I have three anvils, a 125 with half of the hard face gone that I polished and use for jewelry, a 125 that is whole and 250 Navy anvil from 1943.

The hornless one with the slot looks like it's for making "french clips".

I don't know what french clips were / are but recall article after article talking about making them and a few pictures of anvils with similar slots in them.

Still no idea what a french clip is.

Frosty

I used to get annoyed by tool and anvil hoarders; but have realized over the years that someday all of their hoard will come back into the play and often will be in excellant shape for their age after a long protected sitting out period.

I've "owned" a number of anvils; but I've set a limit to how many at one time. if I get a new anvil I either upgrade and pass an old one on to someone else or sell the new one on. I don't need more anvils than I can use and I can find them a lot easier than a lot of people needing anvils---I enjoy the hunt!

i dont see a NASH in there... ;)

matter of fact i have no idea how rare mine is or when it was made, what i do know is there is virtually no wear on it at all and below the nash logo there is three numbers, 1 1 9 and no other markings of any kind. ive looked up and down that thing for a serial number. if somebody knows more about it id love to hear about it, NASH sounds english to me... :) great site and thanks for sharing!

i dont see a NASH in there... ;)

matter of fact i have no idea how rare mine is or when it was made, what i do know is there is virtually no wear on it at all and below the nash logo there is three numbers, 1 1 9 and no other markings of any kind. ive looked up and down that thing for a serial number. if somebody knows more about it id love to hear about it, NASH sounds english to me... :) great site and thanks for sharing!

Postman mentions on page 79 of Anvils in America, that "Isaac Nash was a large anvil manufacturer in Stourbridge, and in 1927 bought the Mousehole trademark."