Sign in to follow this  
DanielC

First Crucible Steel Run, and Forging.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, DanielC said:

It is interesting to note that i only became interested in smithing at all after i watched the first airing of Ric Furrer making a crucible steel viking sword on Nova. From there my journey started, and years of constant study, and experimentation and work has lead me here.

50 smelts in, over 60 orishigane runs, and now this. In 2 weeks or so time i have made 4 crucible steel ingots, with at least 20 hours of forging time involved altogether.

Was that the Nova special on the Ulfberht???

On 12/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, Jonathan Smidt said:

Was that the Nova special on the Ulfberht???

That's the one. Ric Furrier is a member of IFI.

Awesome!  I just started learning how to forge (took a couple blacksmithing courses over the summer, and a few bladesmithing courses in the past few months), now just spending time out at my forge every weekend, and reading/watching everything I can during the week.  I think I'm going to go back and rewatch that Nova special tonight, it's been a few years since I watched it, and I feel I'll have a better appreciation for it now!  ....though I am a long long way away from attempting to make crucible steel, but watching the pictures of the process here is fascinating!  (any other good documentaries/specials to watch?? I think I've punched through all the ones I could find on Netflix/Hulu/ and Amazon)

Yea, I do. I recently purchased an refurbished an inverted metallurgical microscope. Finally got it running and decided to take a peek at the resulting blades. Spheroidization of the cementite is obvious :0 (Ferric etch. Not etched in 3% nital as is proper). Also 800x objective is being funny so not using it yet.

20190509_221857.thumb.jpg.6a6ce7fb039d24e55b3c49ee0b253334.jpg20190509_222028.thumb.jpg.908014431d72409a1582ffe32ae6d62d.jpg20190509_222156.thumb.jpg.64e728a64c8e49b5741898df2801d746.jpg