I Forge Iron

First Crucible Steel Run, and Forging.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, DanielC said:

It is interesting to note that i only became interested in smithing at all after i watched the first airing of Ric Furrer making a crucible steel viking sword on Nova. From there my journey started, and years of constant study, and experimentation and work has lead me here.

50 smelts in, over 60 orishigane runs, and now this. In 2 weeks or so time i have made 4 crucible steel ingots, with at least 20 hours of forging time involved altogether.

Was that the Nova special on the Ulfberht???

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!  I just started learning how to forge (took a couple blacksmithing courses over the summer, and a few bladesmithing courses in the past few months), now just spending time out at my forge every weekend, and reading/watching everything I can during the week.  I think I'm going to go back and rewatch that Nova special tonight, it's been a few years since I watched it, and I feel I'll have a better appreciation for it now!  ....though I am a long long way away from attempting to make crucible steel, but watching the pictures of the process here is fascinating!  (any other good documentaries/specials to watch?? I think I've punched through all the ones I could find on Netflix/Hulu/ and Amazon)

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yea, I do. I recently purchased an refurbished an inverted metallurgical microscope. Finally got it running and decided to take a peek at the resulting blades. Spheroidization of the cementite is obvious :0 (Ferric etch. Not etched in 3% nital as is proper). Also 800x objective is being funny so not using it yet.

20190509_221857.thumb.jpg.6a6ce7fb039d24e55b3c49ee0b253334.jpg20190509_222028.thumb.jpg.908014431d72409a1582ffe32ae6d62d.jpg20190509_222156.thumb.jpg.64e728a64c8e49b5741898df2801d746.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I forged that puck out but it contained a void that stretched with the bar and didnt show up until I had a bar about a foot long.

I remelted it with other material and Manganese addition. The puck has recieved REM treatment and is ready to be forged out.

I'm working on a pile of sanmai at the moment though. The plan is to work the puck once I knock a group of sanmai out.

• 4 months later...

How much time is the steel spending in the furnace to get it to melt and what are you running for fuel to melt it? I notice the glass on the surface. Are you using it as a slag layer to prevent atmosphere from contacting the steel?

I am still working on refractories that will withstand the temperatures repeatedly. How is your furnace holding up to multiple melts and what are  you using as refractory? 

I have to say that the NOVA Ulfberht documentary was AWESOME and I have watched it at least 5 times at this point. It is what got me interested in melting steel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The idea is to quote as little as necessary to make a point. Say you wish to ask a question or make a statement about a point in a post 2 years ago then quoting the sentence  paragraph or whatever is good. It provides continuity in the conversation and helps everybody keep up. 

Some folk quote entire posts that are directly above the one they're submitting which is B A D. No cookie for them! :angry:

Or are you talking about quoting from other sources, if it's copy righted, or contains advertising, from another web site, it's not allowed. Other web sites are a maybe. Some have issues with IFI and vis versa. 

I scanned back in this thread and see you had a number of projects going. I only have a basic knowledge about the kinds of metallurgy you're working for but it's not zero. What did you put in this puck? 

Frosty The Lucky.

This is 1.6% C with traces of V and Cr.

This is basically the end goal for crucible steel endeavors. You can search back when I first joined and got into this in 2012 that my main driving force into any of this was Ric Furrer and his Nova special on crucible steel. 

Now we circle back 10 years later and granted I've been successfully doing it for a few years now, it is in my 10th year of forge work that I've met some goals I made in the beginning, but may have even then exceeded my expectations.

Many crystalline patterns or stretched grain boundary cementite patterns out there, but very few really good lamellar water patterns out there, and hitting that goal has been met. Now I can just have fun with it. I've got many ingots ready to work into magic.

I don't comment much on topics like this where I have little knowledge and no experience, but I am following with great interest and I suspect many others are as well.   I guess I'm just saying don't let the lack of comments dissuade you from posting new material.   What you have shown us here is amazing and interesting.  I'd like to see anything related to this topic that you're willing to share.

Note that all crucible steel is not Wootz; but all Wootz is crucible steel---even historically!  A clean crucible steel was a giant step ahead for HC work even if it wasn't Wootz.

Dr Feuerbach's Thesis "Crucible Steel in Central Asia"  makes this point very well.

Carbide formers to get the carbide arrays that provide the patterns.  One of the reason that there was so much "guessing" on how Wootz was made was that some of the important elements in it were in such low amounts that they were ignored as part of the "trash" in early analyses....Also why it "disappeared" in places; when the mine(s) that had the needed elements in addition to the iron ore played out the patterns disappeared.

I recall the stories, I was wondering what Daniel used. I doubt he went to India and opened a new vein with a taste of vanadium in it. Of course I'm wrong pretty often. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.