I Forge Iron

Life question

Brian Evans

Hey guys I am not sure where to put this if this is not the place please move it to the correct place.

My problem is with where I want to go with my life in regard to jobs. I have been preparing to work in law enforcement for several years and have been expecting to do that for longer. However I have been looking into getting a job as a blacksmith because I love working with metal so much. I may have an opportunity to be a spring blacksmith, the problem is it is several years of training.  After the guy who trains me retires I would be the only one that can do this job for the rest of my career.

I want to know what you guys would do.

Confucius said "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Brian, 25 years ago, I quit my job and turned my "hobby", blacksmithing, into my occupation. I've worked for others,  but for the last 13 years have only worked for myself. Never missed a meal, always paid my bills on time, been much happier. I'm not taking the credit, I've had a lot of help and support over the years. But blacksmithing can be a profession. Al

Hi Brian,

I retired after 29 years in law enforcement in 2013. I would be hard pressed to go into the profession again given today's anti LEO climate.

Don't get me wrong it's an honorable profession and the pension is good (as a rule) and I loved the job.

I've also been smithing for about as long but as a hobby. If I had chosen that path as a blacksmith, I would have made sure to start my own IRA to take care of the money when I could no longer work. I'm 75 now and still swinging the hammer. Good luck in whatever path you choose.