I Forge Iron

"New Video" How To forge a Non welded Ring, and make it into a trivet..

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video still had some editing mistakes in the titles when dealing with PIE Vs PI and 3.17 vs 3.14.. In an effort to correct and keep the information as correct as possible the original video was deleted and an edited version has been uploaded again..   

After 60hrs of editing I was seeing double and just about sick of working on it..  Sadly the titles are done for the intro and exit at the very end of the editing process after watching it a few times so usually I'm so sick of watching the footage it's torture so just wanted it to be done..    The PIP takes so long to edit and then to add the formulas it just takes so LONG.. 

Took 1.5hrs to film and 60hrs to edit the 3 film streams to achieve the results shown.. The miss information was  not acceptable.. So here it is again..  

Thanks be to the person who pointed out the errors though.. much appreciated because my eyes weren't seeing anything at this point.. 

Video link has been updated in the original post. 

Or click here to go to the updated version. 

14 hours ago, JerryCarroll said:

A real good video! Timely, clearly well done. The anvil makes me drool :wub:

Thanks Jerry..    Save your pennies...  Only took me 39years to buy new.. :) 

11 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Nice foot work, lol. Is that your little demo trailer your working in? 

I am a bit sheepish about admitting that I came late to realizing you were a member of the fairrer sex. A dang fine smith and farrier you are lovely lady. Dang fine. 

Yes, all the video have been filmed in the trailer.. Not sure if you caught the last demo which is shot in 360. If you watch it on your computer you can scoot or move all around it...  This video gives a person the ability to pause the video and look all around the trailer to see how it's setup..  

I get this all the time,   How can you be a female and know your way around an anvil.  LOL..   Desire..    And thanks you made my afternoon.. :) 

Oh, no dear lady. I raised daughters, and firmly belive women make better hands all around, it's just up to about the time you were posting your trailer build I hadn't even thought about your gender. You were simply "JLPServises".

At the risk of being charged with harassment, I would say your a beutiful smith. Any way you wish to take it.

TP, I think if you teach them this weldless method first, they will be highly motivated when it comes to learning to weld! But if you watch how she adjusts the circle in the anvil face you can tell she has bashed more than a few shoes. Some how the steel arcs so much more cooperatively free than across the horn. 

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I think I could teach a person to forge weld faster than that would take them...

Ah, here is the kicker.. Not every body is going to take your class..  And most certainly you are not going to travel to every newbies shop to get them forge welding.. 

forge welding is not a mystery, it's very straight forwards and as with all this blacksmithing stuff there is a ton of variance even for a given object with heat tolerance, etc, etc.. 

A few hundred degrees one way or the other for most smiths means very little..    Welding mild to mild  or mild to wrought etc, etc, is very easy """  Easy if you have a skill set all ready".. .

Besides that everything is easy once you know how to do it.. 

Again these videos are not for people who know what they are doing.. They are for the people that are looking for good learning and any smith worth their coal should be able to make a ring to size and any smith should also be able to make a non welded ring..  At least any smith who would serve apprenticeship under me.. :) 

This video was not about how fast I could make it... It's about "HOW to " make it... 

Everything is not a competition..     By the way I'm just getting warmed up as far as forging goes..  I'm getting to be able to swing the 4lb'er like it's a 2lb.. LOL..  That is so funny.. 

I'm still so rusty.. All of these videos are also a way for me to get back into forging shape..   I haven't needed to look up the formula for sizing rings in 25 years...  The next year or 2 is going to very interesting...   "Girl gonna go crazy"  With that hammerin...  :) 

2 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Oh, no dear lady. I raised daughters, and firmly belive women make better hands all around, it's just up to about the time you were posting your trailer build I hadn't even thought about your gender. You were simply "JLPServises".

At the risk of being charged with harassment, I would say your a beutiful smith. Any way you wish to take it.

TP, I think if you teach them this weldless method first, they will be highly motivated when it comes to learning to weld! But if you watch how she adjusts the circle in the anvil face you can tell she has bashed more than a few shoes. Some how the steel arcs so much more cooperatively free than across the horn. 

I was a blacksmith 12 years before I served my apprenticeship..  Its actually the only reason why the guy hired me..  First day on the job middle of February horse dumped right in my boot filled it up completely.. Was a huge gushy one... .. LOL..  I had 0 horse experience when the guy hired me... He looked right at me and asked why he should hire me as I had no horse experience.. I said because I can work metal... He laughed at me and said show up tomorrow and we'll see just what you can do.. LOL..  

Never planned on becoming a full time farrier.. I did it for the experience and here I am 29 year later..  Trimmed 10 today.. Such good critters..  Was a great day.. 

YUP.. I turned a bunch of shoes..  We'd shoe between 15 and 20 horses a day.. I'd strip em, make all the shoes to general shape.. cool em, mark em, drop them at the horse.. I'd run back out to the forge while, He'd cold shape them, Drive 2 nails, each shoe. then I'd run back in to finish off the other 4 or 6 nails, clinch and finish, then run back out and make the next 4 shoes..  this didn't include any pads, borium, studs, These had to be done inbetween everything else...  On some of the horses we'd do 2 feet at a time..  

As a joke once in awhile he's nail on a complete size 4 black pad with the usual 2 nails and tell me to finish it.. They'd all be yelling at me to hurry up.. LOL..  Ah to be young again.. 

I could turn a size 1 flat shoe with side clips in about 6 minutes start to finish with or without trailers or heel calks.. ..  1/4X3/4 or 1/4X1...   Full swedge nail groove took a few more minutes as did full swedge training plates.. 

I'll be posting up some shoe making videos at some point when I need filler videos.. :) 

What did you do start forging when you were 4? Or is it just that sun exposure just isn't an issue there abouts? Lol. 

Well as we expect a shoe to grow twice the width of the stock, I would expect a ring to grow 3 times

My real horse experiance started when my ex and I drug home 3 mares (2 PMU's) all bred. Went to school  and took a 3 week horse handling corse and a 12 week farrier corse after seeing how a shoer treated them. 

I started messing with it when I was 8.. 1978... OSV field trip peaked my interest and then messed with it for a few years making knives and swords and the like.. Got more serious with it about 13/14... and at 16 started in earnest to learn the craft.. :) 

2 hours ago, JNewman said:

Great video, I have made eye bolts the same way.  No welds allowed!!!

Nice the technique can be applied in many, many ways only limited by imagination.. 

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Of course a trivet does not need  a solid circle.  Lap the two ends and punch a sq hole through them and forge a sq tenon on the top of a leg and rivet it together. (square is not needed; really you could just drill a round hole through them and do a round tenon rivet....)

True that, but it would be a different video.. 

Correct I was just thinking of "How to simplify trivet making for a person with few tools or skills".

As someone with an interest in the history, the video method might be a bit tricky using real wrought iron unless it was a very good grade; just like there are woodworking processes that don't work well on endgrain vs side grain... "  Practical Blacksmithing, Richardson,  mentions this a couple of times as it covers how to avoid making items stressed that way.

The beginnig titles and intro usualy say the materials used in the video as well as how much time.. Maybe you missed it..

And yes you are correct if using wrought iron this technique can still be used on refined wrought iron with little changed as well as not so well refined wrought iron.. 

Not very refined:::

It just means forging the ends at near welding heat and being careful to punch the hole slighly bigger as you have to shear the end grain so the split does not propagate..

Again the technique is sound for 90% of the people (the other 10% being pros should all ready have it resolved) out there and if they are using wrought iron the first time trying this , who ever that is send me some because it's rare indeed that any newbie Smith with a new skill set working on their own willk attempt this on such materials..

Rebar, scrap strapping,  drops, etc, etc are what will likely be their resources..

If I can find some time. I'l post up a short segment on doing this technique on wrought and you'l see it works just as well..

On 11/10/2017 at 5:31 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

Not sure if you caught the last demo which is shot in 360. If you watch it on your computer you can scoot or move all around it...  This video gives a person the ability to pause the video and look all around the trailer to see how it's setup..  

Nice job on the video Jennifer. I barely have the patience for still photography let alone editing videos. Where is this other demo video? 

Great demo!

I used that same technique years ago to make brackets for benches for a day care. I wasn't looking for a circle, but close. After opening up the circle and making my "branches", I bent the middle and forged two right angle bends.  Stuck in an "s" scroll with a daisy finial and riveted it in. The kids loved them.

Thanks for the flashback!

No critique, but another way I've gravitated to is to open it up like a slit,upset and drifted to shape on the horn.  I'd leave the ends 5" or 6 " longer so as to not beat 9n the circle itself.  Simple tools, simple forging, and puts new guys into the thought process of slit and drifted holes instead of punched and drifted.

Shows to go there's always another way!

I spent 20+ years as a farrier with the passion to become a reeeel blacksmith. Been a traditional smith for over 30+ years.  Yes, there was some overlap.

And one must never forget, old horse shoers never quit, we just do fewer and fewer horses.  ;) My last shoeing job was 5 years ago, and I still trim a few.  Sneaking past 70 and still heating and beating. You are duly warned!  ;)