I Forge Iron

jaws with to much rust

Pedro Lima

Hi. my name is Pedro. i from Brazil. this is my first topic here. sorry about my poor english but i'm trying do my best with a google translation help hehe

Recently i started to building my workshop and this weekend i found and bought a 4"1/2 leg vise that was covered by a lot of paint. so i cleaned it up and i descovered thar the jaws of my leg vise have so much rust that make holes on the steel. i want to know how can i possible repair this rust holes. the good news is that  everything is aligned and there is no cracking or seriously damage to be concerned , so i am thinking to grind what i can and fill this holes with a 7018 stick welder i don't know if this is necessary but i want try to maintain the original appearance without this horrible rust holes BUT i readed that the body is made by wrought iron and the jaws is made by hardened steel so i'm afraid of put to much heat on the jaws with a sick welder and damage my vise.

has anyone here that had the same experience as me? how did you do to repair that rust damage?

this is the pictures of my poor rusted vise. this oranges  spots is ink that i couldn't remove because of rust holes on it

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 21.20.47.jpeg

IMG_20171109_115848012.jpg

IMG_20171109_115900313.jpg

IMG_20171109_115840298.jpg

Most of the ones are on the outside and so are only cosmetic---they do not affect the use of it. A light grinding with a sanding disk will improve the looks.

On the inside of the jaws you can preheat them and then weld them up and let them normalize and grind them smooth---though I would leave a bit of "tooth" from the grinding so they will hold stock better.

Be sure to remove the moving leg and clean up where it pivots and grease it well when you reassemble.

As long as you don't overheat or quench anything---especially self quenching you should not hurt it any.  And if you have a language problem, I work with several Brazilians who are bilingual with english as their second language and can get translations. 

Hello, Pedro. I was in the middle of typing a reply, but @ThomasPowers got there first. Not a problem: his advice is always worth listening to. So, I will just say "Welcome to IFI" and please put your location in your profile settings, so that we will all know where you're from when you post or comment elsewhere.

Thanks for the advices, Thomas. I'm going to make this fix this weekend. I had not thought about increasing the thickness of the jaw before. it really is thinner than other post vises i've seen on the internet. i'll try to do this and not mess it up with erverything hehe

about the language. i am studying to get better on this. i make a lot of mistakes yet and i need to go to google translator for many things,  but there is no learning without mistakes, isn't it. 

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

"Welcome to IFI" and please put your location in your profile settings, so that we will all know where you're from when you post or comment elsewhere.

thanks for the welcome o/ i'll set it on my profile right now, ok. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Over the weekend, I cleaned the leg vise and unfortunately I found small cracks at the sides of the jaws. The shape of the cracks on all sides is the same, so I do not know if it's really a crack or a forging weld mark. Should I worry about these cracks? What should I do about it. I plan on grinding these cracks by making a small gap between and fill-with 7018 stick welder. What do you think? 

i drew it up for you to have an idea of the shape of the cracks. i'm also did a file test and in fact the jaws is not hardened like i supposed to, so now i'm more confortable to repair the jaws. i was afraid to repair and change the heat treat or something like that. 

i'm very busy until the christmas but after that i'm gonna be with time to do all repairs that i need for let this little leg vise like new 

IMG_20171211_171531086 - Copia.jpg

IMG_20171211_171541846 - Copia.jpg

IMG_20171211_171508303 - Copia.jpg

IMG_20171211_171518409 - Copia.jpg

Good Morning, Pedro

Welcome to our world, even though you are living in part of our world!!

I wouldn't worry about if you have correct English language. If we can't understand what you are asking or telling, we will ask you to use more simple language. I'm sure there are quite a few who can understand your native language. I'm sorry, I can only speak English and some of the bad words in German.

The pieces for the Post Vice are forged from one piece, each piece. I wouldn't hesitate to grind out the cracks and fill in with weld. The worst that can happen is they will crack again!!! Warm with a torch, weld and then heat with a torch again, Let cool by itself, in still air. Any Post Vice is better than no Post Vice!!

Neil

Welcome Senor Pedro,

Brazilians speak Portuguese. Many Portuguese speakers also speak, and/or understand Spanish.

The languages are somewhat similar.

Knowing French allows me to follow the gist of simple Italian and some Spanish (lss so than Italian )

There are many Spanish speakers on this site, that can probably help.

Also, there may be some Brazilian speakers here too.

There is also Google translate, that could come in handy.

SLAG.

Hang in there the information  here is worth it

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the advices, my friends. i finally moved to the same city that my workshop is and now i will have time to do all repairs necessary

i started to grind those cracks and i realize that is deepper than i thought. i readed in somewhere that i need to take off all cracks before weld it, otherwise will crack it again. i  think that if i try to do that i'm gonna need to cut off  all the jaw and weld it together. how deeper i need to grind to have a good grip?

i'm really nervous cuz i never did something like that before and i'm very frustrated about find those cracks. i just wanted not need to worry about it

IMG_20171222_180355290.thumb.jpg.c40e64ac41b7f4e5ce8a674273b40b8c.jpg

Unless you plan on hammering on it like you would your anvil I would just weld them up and use it. Depending on what you are doing a vise will never see as much hard use as an anvil gets. It's really looking to me that the jaws on that we're forge welded on. 

Just weld it where it is now and use it. Maybe my advice is because I've never had a need to take a sledgehammer to anything in the vise but I don't see any need for full penetration welds on that.