I Forge Iron

Another Prize Found on Craigs List

Phoenix Rod Oven.   New cost anywhere from $1200 to $1800 depending on where you buy one.

I have been wanting one for a long time to store my 7018 Low Hydrogen rods.  I live on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State, out in the foothills, and the atmosphere is always high humidity due to the Maritime Climate.  Moisture and Low Hydrogen rods do not get along well.

Got this one for $250 near Seattle.  In new condition.  Gent that had it was getting out of welding.

I added the thermometer on the front door.   The thermostat is on the rear.

enhance

enhance

A toy that is well worth it for anyone doing more than occasional stick welding. A downright requirement if you live in wetter parts of the world.

Looks to be in remarkable shape.  Many (most?) rod ovens I see at auction look to have been tossed in a cement mixer at some point in their life.

For anyone considering one, they do come up at industrial auctions fairly regularly---but pricing varies from pocket change to quite high depending on whether there are 2 people needing an oven or not.  Point is, there are bargains still to be had if you have lots of patience...and decent deals if you don't.  They can make a huge difference in weld ease/quality.

I like 7018.  Burned a lot of it way back when I worked in the Maintenance Dept. of a large paper mill.

Most rods do not need to be in an oven (6011, 6013 for example) but for the best welds the low hydrogen rods like to be dry.   

Keep your eyes open if you want a rod oven, they appear often on the local ads.  Took me over a year to find this one after I started looking.

Mine goes up to 650 degrees F, thermostat controlled.   I have thought about using it for drawing knife blades.

1 hour ago, forgedinfire123 said:

I use a toaster oven to keep my 7018 dry.  I did not know these rod ovens were so expensive!

Mine holds up to 400 pounds, a little much for my hobby weld shop,  but the price was right.     50 pound ovens are available for much less.  

I need to bump the thermostat up a bit, ideal temp for 7018 is 250 degrees.   The rod manufacturers have guidelines for proper temps for 7018 and other rods.

On craigs list here for $80.  If they were not in Surry B.C. Canada I  would have bought them yesterday.  Complete with rods.

• 3 weeks later...

Lincoln Electric web site says:

Storing Low Hydrogen Stick Electrodes
Low hydrogen stick electrodes must be dry to perform properly. Unopened Lincoln hermetically sealed containers provide excellent protection in good storage conditions. Opened cans should be stored in a cabinet at 250 to 300°F (120 to 150°C)

Redrying Conditions - Low Hydrogen Stick Electrodes

Electrodes exposed to air for less than one week; no direct contact with water. Final Redrying Temperature 650 to 750°F (340 to 400°C)

This cabinet at 250 to 300°F (120 to 150°C) does not sound like a refrigator with a 100 watt bulb burning inside.

Lincoln Electric 

1895 John C. Lincoln founded The Lincoln Electric Company with a capital investment of $200.00. The product: electric motors of his own design.

1900 - 1919 John C.'s younger brother, James F. Lincoln, joined the Company as a salesman in 1907. Meanwhile, the product line had been expanded to include battery chargers for electric automobiles. A welding set is first made by the Lincoln brothers in 1909. In 1911, Lincoln Electric introduced the first variable voltage, single operator, portable welding machine in the world.

In 1916, The Lincoln Electric Company of Canada was incorporated to distribute the U.S. made products. The next year, The Lincoln Electric Welding School was founded. The school has trained more than 100,000 people since its inception in 1917.

1920 - 1939Lincoln Electric's production of welders surpassed that of motors for the first time in 1922, making welding the company's primary business. In 1927, Lincoln Electric introduced the Fleetweld® 5 coated electrode which produced welds with 20 - 50% higher tensile strength and 100% greater ductility than those made with bare electrodes.

Lincoln Electric Industry Certifications click here

Do you trust A company that has been around since 1895 and produces the product, or some guy making minimum wage behind a sales counter?  If he is wrong, he has another job next week. If Lincoln Electric is wrong, they are out of business.